Entertainment Electronics 1st Gen Most liked posts in thread: Adding Sirius PNP, FM Adapter, Hardwired, Antenna

1. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Good Luck Erika. You'll be happy when the plan and fruition come together.:Thumbsup:

Jason

2. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    After additional research, I've discovered that I do need to purchase an antenna adapter.

Purchase made & should arrive within the week.

Hopefully the weather will be cooler next weekend...perhaps I'll take pics/video of the installation process.

3. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE!!!

The antenna adapter set arrived today & were installed in less than 5 minutes!

Powered up the radio & it worked just fine.

Next step is to hard-wire the Sirius unit and it says I need to attach the black ground wire ring terminal to a good chassis ground.

The Bentley (yup, found it last night!) says there are 23 ground locations throughout the MINI.

The diagram shows where some of the ground locations are nearest to the center stack; however, I'm not sure which one I should use?

The ring terminal appears to be 1/8" ID....

Please recommend a ground location near the center-stack/glovebox so that I can finally finish this project...

PS: I also need to tap into a 12v circuit that shows 12v when the key is turned on, drops to 0v when the engine cranks and then returns to 12v when the key falls back into the run position.

I need to install the fuse adapter as shown in the 3rd pic in OP.

Thanks in advance!

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    #5 Crashton, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
    Any bolt that goes to the structure of the car can be used as a grounding point. It will be easier than trying to locate a factory ground unless one is right where you need it.

Also you can use an add a fuse deal like this. It's easier to hook up that way. You should be able to find one at the local auto parts store. I use one in my MINI to power my Garmin.

Tomorrow I'll tell you what fuse I put the adapter in, sorry I don't remember & it's my time to hit the hay. :sleep:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-FHA200BP-ATO-Add-A-Circuit-Kit/dp/B0002BGELQ"]Amazon.com: Littelfuse FHA200BP ATO Add-A-Circuit Kit: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21wAMu2jHsL.@@AMEPARAM@@21wAMu2jHsL[/ame]

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Ok here is what I did. My add a circuit is in the 15amp fuse socket that is for the radio. If you look at the back of the fuse panel cover you will see all the fuses & what they are for. The beauty of the add a circuit is that it is completely reversable & you do not have to cut into any wires on your car.

6. phydeaux

phydeaux New Member

May 5, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'll second the add-a-fuse. They cost all of about $6, and are VERY simple to install.

7. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Crashton!

The kit comes with an add-a-fuse...the part of the kit that has the ring terminal is for grounding the actual powersource unit for the Sirius PNP.

I lost the power adapter that goes into the lighter socket; so Sirius recommended the powersource unit that I purchased. Something about warranty & such...

Once I find a ground nut for the ring terminal, there is a prepped wire that mates the add-a-fuse that comes in the kit via butt connector to the prepped wire on the powersource. (Hope that makes sense...)

Powersource has two wires: (1) which has the ring terminal & (1) that is prepped for the butt connector.

Add-a-fuse with the kit has (1) wire which goes into the other end of the butt connector.

BIG THANKS for letting me know about the radio fuse. :aureola: