Interior 1st Gen Adjusting Pedals

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by cct1, Jul 16, 2010.

1. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    No not yet, hope to nail down the fall schedule.by Monday...Haven't ruled it out though, if there's going to be more minis there I might have to. At the NASA stuff I'm usually the lone mini, but that can be fun too! ;)

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Forgot to mention--this may be the biggest benefit, and pretty much takes care of my original post in the thread. With the heel stab, there is much more margin of error--I didn't hit the brake and gas at the same time accidentally once, and I've done it before using the roll method, sometimes catching the gas when all I wanted was the brake--never got into trouble by doing it, other than blowing an apex, but it's always worried me.

Using the heel stab, if the pedals switch height a bit, it's still easily doable--not so with the roll, if later in the day the brake pedal starts traveling lower, it can be impossible to cleanly roll your foot over to the gas, as your foot is almost underneath the gas pedal.

I have the ultimate pedals, which has a slight heel extension on the gas pedal. It was so easy to switch methods, and although I'm sure I'll get even better at it, just the first time using the heel was so much better than the roll. It literally takes all the inconsistencies of downshifting with the roll method out of the equation; for me, I could brake later and harder, not worrying so much when the pedals would match up, because you can get the heel tap in relatively earlier in your braking than you can with the roll (at least I could).

BTWdriver's post earlier in the thread was very helpful--you need to get your foot, heel, and leg in a straight line on the brake--it'll be over a bit more to your left on the brake, and just slightly higher on the brake (at least for me) than it would be with a roll (hence no worry about accidentally hitting the gas). Then just a quick rotation of the ankle so your heel hits the gas, and you're there. For me, I get a nice, quick blip, rather than the slower blips I sometimes got with the roll (rolling just isn't as consistent for me).

I normally don't make such a big deal about stuff like this, but it's really a BIG difference.

3. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    ::thread revival::

I was at CMP in Kershaw, SC last weekend. Temps on Saturday in the low 90's, high 90's on Sunday. This track is notably hard on brakes and tires, too. In the first session I forgot to turn off DSC, so the brakes started to fade a bit and the pedal started sinking down lower and lower in the brake zone and I started missing heel-toe blips. Very embarrassing. But I've had this thread in the back of my mind for almost a year now.

So at lunch I played around with foot positioning, and gave it a shot in the afternoon session. Holy cow, amazing difference. Big knee rotation, put the ball of the foot on the brake and the heel on the bottom of the gas pedal. My driving shoes are very narrow and the heel is somewhat squared off on the bottom. Then I just roll my ankle outwards to blip the gas. Makes it much easier to maintain brake pressure regardless of pedal position. After a few sessions I was hitting every mark consistently and eating up the cars I had been running even with. Thanks for the explanation cct1!

4. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    nice revival post! glad that it worked for you. every driver must find what works best for him/her.

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0

I just bought a set of Rennline pedals--check em out, they are great for the MINI, better than the Ultimate pedals I had on before. I barely have to move my foot to Heel-Toe with the heel extension. I actually took off the Toe extension because it was getting in the way.

Haven't had a chance to get it out on the track with these pedals yet, but I love the ergonomics. Oh yeah, new brake kit, BVH head, header, cam, exhaust, splitter, rear diffuser, it's gonna be awhile with all delays I've been running into....

6. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Build thread? :D

7. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Don't you actually have to put something on the car for one of those?:mad2:

Maybe I'll start it once I actually have a functioning part on, which will hopefully be soon, because looking at boxes all the time grows old.

15% pulley, GP intercooler with Diverter, BVH, Header, Cam, injectors, Wideband sensors, exhaust, tune,Brakes (which are the holdup at the moment, as I don't have a functioning pair, but they look to be a killer setup), have a great shop to install what I can't, and tune it remotely (Jan), splitter, rear diffuser (rear wing soon too I hope). All in boxes, just laughing at me....

8. Dawgscj7

Dawgscj7 New Member

Mar 30, 2011
    University Hospital
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know I'm digging up and old thread but has anyone fitted a larger brake pedal, width wise, for left foot braking?