Most liked posts in thread: Aesthetic Creations?

1. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I just set my rattle cans in a bucket of hot water....!

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Because.... No sun in your neck of the woods?

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Check with Aaron at Outmotoring. I believe he has something like that.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I think they got tired of all the web BS and could not keep up with the demand.

I do have an alternative for you. Buy a set of checkered or union jack stick on covers.

Before you put them on your car scuff them down a little and then spray them with 2 to 3 or 4 thin coats of Plasti Dip. The will fit perfectly and look great. I have done a few sets for friends and everyone loves them.

Painting tip: if you sit the Plasti Dip in the sun for a few hours and it sprays on like water and it makes it easy to get prefect even coats.

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I thought they were still making the molded stuff for MINI's. The MINI community treated AC very badly, in my personal opinion and that is all it is, my opinion. I regret the loss, but am in the minority I'm sure.

Jim

6. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    It is a shame as they had a great product. I have gone the plastidip route before and over time in the Texas sun, it breaks down.

7. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I agree, it is a great loss. I sure hope I don't need another dragon roof graphic, as there is no place to get one now. :(

Jim

8. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    I stopped to check out a newly opened small custom vinyl shop the other day. I'll go in again and ask about some of this and see can they accomodate.

9. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    AC problems seemed to be shipping items on time that had already been paid for.. Some of their stuff "might" have been farmed out and then they were at their mercy getting it done but yet didn't want to tell anyone that.. Might not be true though just my thinking!!
    Everyone liked their stuff but some had trouble getting feed back on orders which is unacceptable if you want to keep customers... There are plenty of places around that can print whatever you want. They just don't specialize in MINIs. For a Dragon roof graphic that is going to be printed on a large piece of white or black etc. they only need the measurements as your going to have to trim off the excess anyway. I'd actually have them just print the dragon and cut it out which would make it MUCH easier to install just him then have to remove the attenna and trim/tuck in all the edges..
    Look in your yellow pages under signs and call around.. Some won't be interested but if you have a Fast Signs, Sign-a-Roma, type places I bet they well..

10. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    For me, I will miss the molded trim pieces.

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #12 Dave.0, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    Good idea :Thumbsup:

FYI not many of the AC molded door handles ever fit perfectly that's why they came with a strip of black tape that needed to be wraped around the edges were the molded part was too short to cover the whole handle. Oh they also faded in the sun because mine turned gray and I had to keep treating them with black WOW. I had a set and wanted something better. I also had the AC headlight trim rings and was not impressed with the quality and fit vs cost.

Last year at the Dragon I was walking down vendors row having a cold beer after a fun day of driving and I was talking with Aaron from Outmotoring. While we were chatting I looked up on one of his displays and saw the ugly union jack and black white checkered door handle covers and said .... Hummmm (idea time) :idea:

I grabbed a set and test fit them on a r53 that was near by and they were a perfect fit and had no gaps. :Thumbsup:

I paid Aaron and was on my way with my ugly red white and blue union jack door and my cold beer. When I got back to he cabin all my friends though I was nuts because my car is chili red and black with everything is blacked out. I told them my idea and two of them went and got the other two sets Aaron had. I have done two of them and they have turned out great.

I like the OEM Mini ones because they fit perfectly every time. Also you don't have to paint them with Plasti Dip like I did but I like the feel of the plasti dip on the handle and it is real easy to touch up. You can also prep them and paint them with high heat BBQ paint or body color if you want. :idea:

For head light rings I got a new set from my dealership and wrapped them in 3M outdoor vinyl and they never looked better.

12. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    ^^ That's odd. Everything I got from him was right on the money. My door handles fit with no tape needed and are still black. I even ask for a couple of specialty items and had no trouble getting them. Just felt like I should put this out, what with all the bashing going on.

Jim

13. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Some people had a great experience with them. As usual we mainly only hear from the ones that didn't.

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Don't much basing at all. Mike and Hannah are both very creative and for the most part had a quality product. They stood behind their products for the most part too. Possibly they grew too big and were not able to handle all the requests in a timely manner with best customer service practices? The thing is...all businesses like all people make mistakes. It's how those are handled is what can make or break you.

If they see this post, I only wish them the best of wishes in whatever they endeavor.

Lets move on please. :smilewinkgrin:

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I was not bashing I was just stating the facts. I got parts from Mike at the Dragon 3 years ago when he came with the black mini classic pickup. We hung out at our cabin and had many beers. I also ordered the headlight rings while at the Dragon and it took him until September to send them to me. I was a customer and I was not happy with his customer service or the quality of the parts and I am allowed to say that. Mike is a great guy but I would buy parts from him again that's all.

Anyhow I was only offering a DIY alternative that fits perfectly every time because the AC door handle are nolonger available.

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Actually....way to much LOL

Just faster with the water and no trouble with it getting to hot..:biggrin5: