2nd Gen R56 Cooper S AFE direct replacement air filter

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by miniwop, Oct 8, 2012.

1. miniwop

miniwop New Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Mini nub here. Is the AFE direct replacement air filter worth buying? Are there any noticeable gains? Trying not to spring the 200-300 bucks for a CAI. Any opinions will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Mini'mon

Mini'mon New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    MINI Performance Parts Designer
    San Francisco, CA
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    You will see a ~= 5 to 7 HP gain by replacing your OEM paper air filter with an aFe drop-in panel filter. The aFe panel filter is higher flow than the OEM paper filter and you're able to clean it when it's dirty -- so it will last the lifetime of your vehicle.

To keep a happy MAF sensor, you should only use the version of this filter with the dry filter media, do not get the oiled version.

We have them in stock and ready to ship:
    http://www.defendersofspeed.com/dry-no-oil-panel-filter-for-r56-thru-r60-oem-mini-airbox/

-Clint

3. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    #3 e46tor56, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
    I'm running an oiled AFE panel fiter in my MCS with no issues so far. But I agree with Mini'mon about picking up a Prodry filter instead.

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I agree with both. I have the Alta foam oiled filter(no Dave O don't shoot me for using Alta) and get excellent service but I've leanned the trick about, a 'whiff' of oil is all that's needed. One just puts the filter and oil in the same room together for a couple of hours est viola done. The aFe is probably a better deal for the 'hydraulically challanged':lol::lol::Thumbsup:

Jason

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You have an Alta part ? :mad2:

It's ok Jason, the first step is always admitting you have a problem. :lol::lol::lol:

Motor on buddy:Thumbsup:

6. grscoop1

grscoop1 New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Management
    Lombard IL
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Installed mine yesterday and there is definately SOP increased enjoyment!! Throttle response better all around. Put about 100 miles on the highway at you could feel the difference cruising at higher speeds also. I'm Happy.