After market wiper blades

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by 05r50, Sep 26, 2011.

1. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Thought I would pass this along. I picked up some Duralast flexblades today at autozone. I didn't know it at the time but they are on sale. 1 at reg. price, 2nd one 1/2 off.

Since the MINI is not listed for the product, I took my OEMs off the car and eyeballed them to the new. Drivers side is 18". Passenger is 19".

It is my first time with these on the MINI but my wife loves them on her truck. If memory serves, I think Crashton uses these also?

So with the discount it was like $22 and change.

If you like the rain-x blades they are on sale also.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    That is a good price. :Thumbsup:

I've been using Bosch Ikon blades & have been happy with them.

3. bjl

bjl New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    does anyone sell the rear blade size?

4. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Not really. The cut-to-fit refills will work, but the dealer is your best bet.

5. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I got the rain-x ones last year: the drivers side works great, but the passenger side isn't a good fit. It always misses an area just below centre of the windshield. I haven't tried Duralast yet.

6. SooperCooperInfo

May 31, 2009
    Retired aircraft salesman
    Land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Baron Mini in KC sells them for four bucks a piece.

7. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I've yet to find anything as good as the PIAA's. A bit more costly, but I can SEE.

8. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Have you tried using the Bosch Ikon's? I think they are great, but I have never tried the PIAA's.

9. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Ditto!

10. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Wiper are like tires you need to get the ones that are best suited for your driving style. How well any given wiper works is directly associated with the climate they are used in and the mostly condition of your windshield. Like tires there is no best wiper solution for every conditon. Wipers also need to be taken care of which means periodically cleaning them and checking the leading and trailing edge for wear which effects its performance. Changing them at least once a year or even at the change of season should be a good practice.
    Wipers and the arms can be adjusted with a little patients to achieve a full contact over the wipe range of the glass.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Almost every time I look at this thread there is a Google Ad on the left side for the New Michelin Stealth Wiper Blade. Far be it from me to tell anyone to click the ad, in fact I can't do that according to Google rules. But I was wondering if anyone has tried them.

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Buy a set & I'll run them through the winter as a test. No charge to you, just a small expense to buy the test wipers. :D

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Good advice! :Thumbsup:

I used to change out wipers every spring & fall. Now that I've been running the Bosch Ikon's once a year is enough.

14. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I've never adjusted my wiper arms or fiddled with them in any way and my car's going on 6+ years old now. All I want to do is just put new ones on 2-3 times a year when they start to streak (I hate streaks). I don't want any noise/swueaks/squeals. Oh, and I want to SEE.

In my experience, stock BMW blades and cheap, AutoZOne-type units like the crap-o RainEx units typically begin to streak for me in the 2nd/3rd month, and begin to make annoying noises soon thereafter. By month 4-6, they're noisy, squeaky messes that just move dirt around.

Contrast that with the PIAA's I bought from Outmotoring - they're now almost *6* months old and are still NOT streaking and are still whisper-silent. Every swipe is totally clean with no residue at all. And the PIAA's were cheaper than the BMW OEM replacements, and came with a silicone wipe that you use to "prime" the windshield for the silicone wiper blades, which makes rain basically blow right off the 'shield at any speed faster than walking in anything but a downpour. In fact, EACH blade has one, so you have a second for a re-application in a month or two when water stops beading).

Sooooo... cheaper, longer-lasting, and work better, all in a single package? That translates to "I will no longer consider other brands" in Matt-speak... :beer

15. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    ImagoX you sound like an ad for the PIAA's. :cool: Nice post!

:Thumbsup:

16. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Info is power, brother... I've received a LOT of it over the years and am just trying to pay-back. :)

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    After going 4.5 years on the 1st set of OEM blades, it didn't rain much in TX, I put OEM's back on in April. They are dead, then again Ohio has been in monsoon season since April anyway.

Think I'll go for a set of PIAA's soon

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    One aspect of the Bosch Ikons that I like is the fact the blade is not open like the oem & Piaa. In winter they do not ice up like the open ones do. Nathan, do you know of snow? :smilewinkgrin:

19. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    I put a set of Bosch Ikons on last fall, used them this morning on the way to work. No need to replace them for the upcoming Winter. Crashton is right about them not collecting ice like the open designs.
    The 24 inch refills I used to buy and cut down for the rear disappeared from the auto parts store around here so I modified the wiper arm to accept standard 13 inch replacement blades.