2nd Gen Paceman After six months with Paceman ALL4...

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Tata Steva, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Tata Steva

Tata Steva MINI of the Month - September 2010

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    #1 Tata Steva, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    So, I have been driving ALL4 Paceman S for six months.

In short: very happy with the car.

Some people hate it, some love it. I liked it since the green concept car was introduced. The fact that I was able to get all wheel drive in MINI form (with 2 doors!) is a perfect mix of favorite attributes of the original car I use to drive 20+ years ago and compromises I had to make by this being family's only car.

After driving it in summer and now in winter (and what a winter we had so far here in Toronto!) I have to say I enjoy it more than any other MINI I had before. My last Clubman was a "garage queen". This one now is a "every day friend". It's been with me in every type of driving so far. On road and off road. For work or pleasure. Especially with 225/50/17 Hankook winter tires and BMW 17"x7.5 X5 rims, driving it in ice and snow was sooooo much fun.

[​IMG]

BTW, in six months I went only once to MINI service and only because I WANTED to change oil for my own dime as engine is new... No mechanical or any other issues with the car...

Looking forward to spring and summer,... And some real modding... Maybe...:D

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nice ride and I really wish the put that more upright front end on the new 3rd gen cars.

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    That's a very cool car to be sure! It'd be my choice in lieu of the R53, should that day ever come.

4. ehcorn

ehcorn New Member

Feb 3, 2014
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What's the real benefit of the paceman over the countryman? I owned a countryman all4 S for almost 2 years, and the biggest difference between it and my cooper S is definitely the added weight. Looking at the specs, the paceman and countryman are the same physical size, same weight, same power, both come in JCW if you're going for a sportier faster car (which I personally highly recommend with the added weight of the countryman) So why 2 doors instead of 4? is it a looks thing?

5. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    The OP is right, it's probably the most polarizing Mini model. Our CM is turning out to be a fantastic all weather, capable, really fun car, so our experience is the same as yours.

One thing I KNOW I would like better in the Paceman over our CM is entry and exit. I am 6'6", and while the CM has plenty of room for me, I have the seat all the way back, which means when I look to the left for traffic, I am staring right into the door pillar. I constantly have to lean forward and look around it.

With the Paceman and that big single door, I wouldn't have that problem and entry-exit with a single large door would be much easier, but that's just a minor inconvenience.

We just preferred the 4 door body style, which is why we chose the CM.

Great to see you are having a wonderful time!

6. Tata Steva

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Don't get me wrong: I like Countryman, JCW especially!
    It took me some time to get used to "concept" of "not mini" MINI... But, I did. It just helped me accept and adore the design of Paceman.
    I love the 2 doors better over 4 doors. I love the rear end of Paceman over design of Countryman. These are all subjective things. I did not like that pillar on CM. But, it is not "make or brake" thing...
    We live in a big city. We don't live in suburbia and have no need to "live" in the car. My average KM/year is 14K. Nothing against folks who live in suburbs or spend few hours a day commuting. We don't. So, out of that notion it is not paramount that our family car IS BIG or V6 or 4 doors... It is kind of not usual for North America, but we do it. And we can manage just fine.
    Back to PM design: it reminds me so much to toy cars (Matchbox) I use to collect. It "appears" small yet it is the same inside as "big" Countryman. Butterfly doors are huge! Love that. It is all wheel drive. And that thing works! It is red. Has black roof. Takes 5 bolts rims. Heavy, not as agile as "regular" MINI, but still "zippy" enough for this old fart... And did I say, it looks cool?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Great pictures, the look of PC is starting to grow on me. :confused:

I would want to mod the hell out of it of course, but it has all the basics to start with.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I have to say I didn't like the Paceman at first. Then I was at a mall and they had a JCW on display, man it looked good. Sense then I've seen some pictures of one that was moded and it looked great too. It has really grown on me.
    Your Paceman looks great!

9. Tata Steva

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I tell you: Paceman is a "sleeper"... But once it gets you!...

[​IMG]

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I like it in the snow, it's cool. But I would want to mod it's so much it would only be a lowered AWD track monster.

It would never be in the snow again.

11. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Quite the appropriate photo location. Betcha can't wait for that snow to melt!

12. ehcorn

ehcorn New Member

Feb 3, 2014
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think yours is the first paceman I find truly beautiful. I really enjoyed my CM in the full JCW appearance and aero kit (save the red roof, I opted for black roof and red strips) but in red and black, that little paceman is really gorgeous, it wears the size of the ALL4 line of cars a lot better it seems, might I saw the CM visually appears to be a little chinkier?

13. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    i like the fact the on the PM there are hidden body lines... you cant see it from alot of the pics but look down the side and you can see its haunches are flared out and to me the PM seems just more planted...and i really think it goes back to the fact they went to the original design....2 doors...pillars back where they should be and with the extra bracing it just feels solid...and im with dave...i want to turn my PM into a AWD track monster...and with the help of RMW, coopercrap and a few other manufactors i may just do that

14. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Hey Rog.. Sounds like you and that Paceman are getting along great!

Missed you at the VBAC meeting Tuesday night. Hopefully next month... It's the viable alternative ya know.

15. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    I forgot about tuesday...is the next event next month?

16. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Yes. I'll shot you a pm and share some info.

17. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    The Paceman and Countryman are the two MINI models I want to hate, I should hate, and I can't. I like them both, The Paceman is slightly better looking, but the Countryman is slightly more functional for a family. I had a Countryman for a week and really liked it. I do think they're overrpriced, a little underpowered, but I've grown to accept them--they're big, but they still have the MINI look. I could own one someday--not as a replacement to my R53, but in addition to it, filling a different role.

18. Tata Steva

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    No spring in sight here in Toronto... Something had to be done to "call it back"!

New tips on rear of redBARON. Done!

[​IMG]

19. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    NICE TIPS.....:D

Heh heh heh

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Look great, are they Thermal Exhaust Tips?