2nd Gen R60 Countryman Aftermarket Exhaust Opinions

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by jeremy, Dec 1, 2011.

1. jeremy

jeremy New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    So as near as I know so far, there are a few exhaust systems available for our cars.

Magnaflow
    Borla
    Super Sprint
    VIP
    Quick Silver

I'm sure there are more, but havent run across them yet. I need to keep the tone fairly mellow. I'm leaning towards a Magnaflow. I've used them on other imports over the years and the tone is nice, more aggressive than stock, but not obnoxious by any means. What else is available? It seems like the Super Sprint is the only one with a down pipe, and all the others are mid pipe back or cat back. Any opinions are welcome and appreciated.

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Milltek.

....just right! ;)

3. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Milltek here, too. aka stratmosphere.

4. jeremy

jeremy New Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I checked Milltek and it looks like the cooper, cooper s, clubman, and coupe all have their sport performance exhaust, but no countryman that I saw. It may be worth a call to see if its available.

5. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Check to see who reports the total output of the exhaust to be at least 396cfm or greater. Anything less from the offered exhaust system is less then the MINI's R53 engine capable of displacing for the total exhaust flow. A fact always missing from manufactures and suppliers of exhaust systems. The single component like the muffler may flow this or more but when incorporated with other parts lessens the total output of the exhaust flow.
    Don't be surprised to find that many do not know what the offered system total CFM rating is. Even many leading muffler manufactures will not advertise this information. Sometimes you need to call them and ask the engineering departments for the flow information.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If you had payed attention here Lynn you would notice this is for a Countryman and your discussing a R53 has no bearing.

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Right thanks..Nathan. I should have left out the R53 which segregates the response to R53 only and not the complete line of BMW/MINIs and simply said the BMW/MINI engine exhaust flow rating is rated 396cfm(+). :Thumbsup:

The facts remain the same you can buy the pretty parts or one that actually work as an integral part of the whole system to increase performance, mileage reliability etc. of your MINI.

8. kconner5

kconner5 New Member

May 23, 2011
    Works at MINI of Fairfield County
    New Canaan, CT - High Point, NC (College, High Poi
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Countryman connection has a great exhaust... I've been looking into getting it for my car :)

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Don't discount a custom exhaust from your local exhaust guru. Can be done for a lot less and may even perform better.

10. MaverickGun

MaverickGun New Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It really is worth it to at least take a look at a custom exhaust. There are people out there who can really do a great job.

That being said, I know that Remus makes an Countryman exhaust. I suppose I'm biased because I have one on my R56, but I'm really happy with it. I had the chance to hear one on a Clubbie and it sounded really nice too. Judging by the R56 and R55 at least, it seems to fit the bill as to what you might be looking for. At any rate, It's worth taking a look as another potential option :Thumbsup:

11. kent kanipe

kent kanipe New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Retired
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Love my Milltek! If they are in process, bringing a system for the Countryman to market, I'd consider waiting for it. The expense is not a small issue, however, and I'd guess a good deal more material goes into a Countryman system than my R56.

Kent