2nd Gen R60 Countryman Aftermarket lightning adapter recommendations

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Mini Q, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I have an iPhone 5SE, and after reading the Mini document for the factory lighting adaptor, there is a difference in Gen 2 & Gen 3 adapters. What aftermarket cable has worked in R60?

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    No differences with lightning cables. Shop Amazon for a good cable at a cheap price.

3. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Thank you,

4. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Tried a/m lighting cable

I received my aftermarket lighting cable today and my iPhone 5SE does not show up on the radio, but plays through the aux option.
    Now, when i plug in my BMW 30 pin cable with apple lightning adaptor, the phone shows up as iPod but sometimes disappears and switches to radio mode.

I only noticed this whole issue since IOS 11 came along, anyone else seeing this problem?

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    No I use an iPod not my iPhone. Stupid question but does the order you plug in the wires in make a difference.

6. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    order of plug in

I was using the BMW cable for 30 pin iPod and the Apple lightening adapter. I read somewhere that its better to plug the adapter into the device before connecting to the cable.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I dont remember the year but the 30 pin cable had some of the pins changed. So the early ones are different then the later ones. What they changed was the charging pin. I use to have an 30 pin to 30 pin adapter so my earlier devices like my iPod would still charge when using the newer cables. I have used different adapters and they are problematic at best.

8. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    working intermittently

I've been trying my BMW cable with Apple lightening adapter and some days it works and other times it plays for a minute and goes away. I'm going to see if there is a firmware update for the radio or see if the BMW lightening cable works.

9. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I just thought of this. I have an Alpine head unit in my R53 that I use my click iPod with. it also has a separate 30pin cable for the old iPhone. I use a lightning adapter with it if I want to stream something from the internet to my radio. some times it pulls out at the phone just enough to stop playing. Maybe this is happening to you also. Don't get me started about how the bluetooth on my hearing aids the radio and phone works then through in the adapter:lol:

On my 2012 R58 I have a 30pin BMW Y cable it works fine with my iPod. I will take my 30pin lighting adapter out of the R53 and use it to plug in my iPhone to my R58 30pin Y cable and let you know what happens. Ill get back later today

10. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    working intermittently

Thank you for that suggestion, I wish that were my problem. I have even plugged the phone, adapter and cable in different sequences, turn the car on & off after every option.

11. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Well this wont be much help but on my 2012 R58 the BMW Y cable with a 30 pin to lightning cable worked fine. It showed up on the radio as an iPod and worked fine. I have a iPhone 6s plus running 11.2.5 Bata. The only thing I have that may help is, do you carry your phone in your pocket? If so I would be willing to bet you have a very small amount of lent inside the lighting plug. I have seen this a lot.

12. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Thanks, I suspected that as well and have used canned Air to blow out the lightening port. My wife has same phone and it’s new, same results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    If you find a fix post it so we know. Good luck, sorry I could not help

14. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Will keep you posted

I will. The car is due for service, so I’m going see if anyone else’s iPhone will work with BMW cable, and ask about software update for the Mini Boost stereo. Will post the findings here.

15. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I was at the dealer yesterday for scheduled service and mentioned this issue. At the time, the iPhone was showing up correctly as an iPod so they official responded with “could not replicate the issue”. I pressed the S.A. To check for updates to the radio, his response was a little evasive in my opinion. “There is no update that will help you”.

I also had a dialog with an Apple senior technical advisor and he had this to say,
    “its sounds like the Mini possibly has some firmware that needs to be updated. I would have no idea on how to update that data though. for that info you will need to contact BMW in this case due to they make the Mini. but sounds like that is what it is since it happened right around the iOS 11 update.

when ever apple comes out with a new updates or software, any and all apps and programs that work on apple device has to be updated as well but by the devolpers. if the developers decided not to make a update for the app or program in order to work with apples new software, then apple lets them fall off the system and will no longer support the apps or programs.

I have seen similar issue with third party sound system apps from Kenwood and other big names. “

The only thing I would like to try is if a BMW lighten cable will solve the issue, since I am using the BMW 30 pin cable with Apple lightning adapter. I’d be happy to pay the big bucks for the new cable if it would solve the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Try calling MINI USA and see what they have to say. If there is a update for your radio they should update it for you. Your S.A. Has no clue if it would help or not.

17. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Spoke with Mini, they have been told the Apple IOS 11.3 possibly will address this issue.

I have also identified the problem is with iTunes. I can stream audio from other apps just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List