Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Most liked posts in thread: Aftermarket wheel studs stuck!

1. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I had the same issues with mine. PB Blaster. Let it sit. PB Blaster. Let it sit. Then, take the biggest set of Channel Locks or vise grips you have and set them as tight as you can across the threads. Then, with a quick 'jerk', break them loose.

Allen key might be sufficient to install but as soon as they are seized, there's no way to get the torque you need to remove.

2. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Good luck!
    That reminds me though I broke an allen key the other day. Better pick one up before I need it.

3. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    yea I am thinking of some PB. Only thing that worries me about using vice grips is in case it does not work now I cant use the studs at all.

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    another option is to ICE the studs or spray them with an upside-down air duster can to chill them... could even heat the hub up a little bit with a heat gun or torch, and then chill the studs... this plus the PB Blaster should help them break loose. Heating the studs means expanding the studs... which might help break loose corrosion... but also might just make them tighter while they're hot...

5. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Definitely a concern! For non-destructive removal I'd try double-nutting the stud (put two nuts on the stud, torque them together, then slip a socket over both and attempt to remove the stud).

For a more extreme solution, I would get out a very good plumber's wrench (pipe wrench, the old-fashioned kind) and give that a try.

And finally, for the highest torque solution I would weld a nut on the stud and use that with an impact wrench.

The last time I had to get some studs out of a hub, I used a lot of "Zep" penetrant and a little heat. A hex wrench worked for me in that case.

6. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    well i tried the double nut and even lighting them both to each other I was able to turn both nuts and not the stud :(. Gonna get some better penetrate and let it sit over night.

7. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    in my case, I was putting the car back to stock with wheel bolts to sell. I actually had a buyer for the studs and lugs but that fell through with the destructive removable. bimetallic corrosion pwns all

I still have a set the black chrome McGard SplineDrive lugs for the MINI sitting in my toolbox. :lol:

8. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Try the double nutting again, and tighten the nuts firmly against each other... and PB blaster (but remember to clean the brakes really well).

9. MOTORN

MOTORN New Member

May 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good ideas here. :Thumbsup:
    I will just mention that if red high temp threadlocker was used, it will
    require heating of 500 to 600 degrees for parts to separate.
    Don't ask me how I know.:smilewinkgrin:

10. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
  11. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have three sets of those from different brands, and they all work pretty well (though none of my sets go up to 12mm). Good if you can afford it.

12. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Well I guess I will be finding a torch to use for sure. To run the R98s with some good rubber I will need the longer studs so I can use spacers to cleat the DT BBK.

13. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Sweet the torch worked. Walked them punks right out of there! I only needed it on 2 studs on the passenger front. All the others came out like butta!

Woot love the new TSW studs!

14. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
  15. Boxcars

Boxcars New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hi
    what is PB blaster?
    thanks
    boxcars

16. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure if it would work for this application, but sometimes we used to grind a flat spot in the threads and fit a big pipe wrench on it. You can fit a longer pipe over the handle of the wrench, too, for some extra leverage, and you can stand on that pipe if necessary.