1st Gen R53 Cooper S Air Conditioning Problem

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by MCS02, Mar 27, 2010.

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Hi all
    I have 02 MCS. Last fall my A/C quit on me. It was working fine when my son was cold so I turned it off using the button. A few minutes later I turned it back on but it never got cold.
    This is what I have done so far, checked the Freon, the relay, and both fuses. The compressor does not turn on.
    I'm changing the oil today does anyone have a suggestion that might help.
    Thanks Lee

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Is it a manual system or climate control?

If the compressor's not engaging that's why it doesn't get cold, now you need to figure out why the compressor's not running.

BTW, how did you check the freon? especially since the compressor's not running?

The reason I ask is that if it's low on freon, there's pressure switch that won't let the compressor engage.....

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    It’s a Manual system. I put a gauge on it. It quit working very suddenly. It was pumping out cold air and about 5 min later it would not turn on. The green light comes on, but today I noticed that the radiator fan does not come on like it should. I thought it was the clutch on the compressor. It’s like it’s not getting a signal to turn on. I will try adding some R34 and see if that works. I would think if it had a leak it would be depleted after going all winter, it’s a 02 maybe it just needs a top off.
    Thanks for the help