2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Air Inlet Tube Removal?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Dwight, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Anybody know how to remove the air box inlet tube? Can't see how it's fastened at either end :confused5:. Want to wrap it with thermal insulating tape, and removal is the only way to do a neat and effective job. Thanks :Thumbsup:

Dwight

2. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Isn't it just 2 hose clamps? That's what is was with mine, plus you have to unclip the oxygen sensor (?) cable from the inlet tube as well

3. Detroit Tuned

Detroit Tuned Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    evertyhing
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -0
    yeah it has two hose clamps. but your not going to get any big performance from wrapping it. the stock hose is really thick. also you will need to replace the lower clamp with a worm style clamp as you will never get the lower clamp clamped again.

Chad
    DT

4. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Gen1 or Gen2 MCS?

Rixter, agocart: OOPS, guess I should have said I have a turbo MCS. I'm guessing you guys are talking Gen1's. The turbo's have a RAM tube from the grill to the air box and it definitely picks up heat from the engine bay. In stop and go traffic, it can be as much as 40F. over ambient. Finally figured out how to remove it. No clamps, it's a snap in fitting at both ends! Thanks anyhow, appreciate the effort. :Thumbsup:
    Dwight

5. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Dwight, I have the same basic setup as you, '08 MCS. I suppose I don't need hose clamps but it came with 'em so I'm using them. Glad things got worked out.

6. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    New Cold OUTSIDE Air Intake [COAI]

Did they ever! Wrapping the air tube (plus M7 scoop) has lowered the air intake temps to only 3-6 degrees over ambient, even when stopped. It had been 30-40F above. And to think all I started out to do was prevent another OEM scoop melt down. Don't look bad either, considering the old klutz that did the work. :smilewinkgrin:

Dwight

Attached Files: