Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Air Intake Trouble

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Systemlord, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Several months ago I purchased and installed the AEM CAI that mounts an intake induction to the underside of the hood to make use of the non-functional hood scoop with plastic grill insert on Turbo models. The plastic grill insert is then removed to allow unrestricted airflow into the AEM induction to the AEM airbox, while still using the stock CAI pipe.

A few months go by and for the most part I'm very happy, but recently I had my entire MCS completely repainted, paint and clearcoat. I went ahead and had the hood scoop replaced do to warping and those two front fog light covers. I instructed the body shop NOT to install the small plastic grill that goes into the hood scoop because that would almost completely restrict my AEM CAI!

So I pick up Mini and what do you know, they installed the plastic grill into the hood scoop blocking most of the AEM induction under the hood. I'm exhausted at this point and put off removing it till my next day off work, but in those few days I notice that my Mini is faster in acceleration and feels snappier like it's got more torque. My GF that drives everywhere with me asks if I added any performance enhancing mods.

If my GF can tell there's a difference along with me then it's NO placebo effect! She knows NOTHING about cars and can barely operate a computer! So last night I took things a little further, I took one my T-shirt and stuffed it into the AEM CAI. To my surprise it's ever faster now that it's completely block off now, what in the world is going here, is it my Mini's inability to adapt to the AEM CAI or is there something else going on here? Do not take what stated and say it's my imagination because it is NOT!

I'm excited and confused by all of this, for I leaving my shirt in the AEM induction because I still believe that the airbox and intake charge pipe are giving positive gains. There's a huge difference between the stock intake charge pipe and the AEM one leading from the airbox to the back of the turbo.

I would appreciate any and all feedback as to why this happening!

2. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I have no answer but did you contact AEM to inquire if they had an answer?

3. beno

beno New Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Take out the insert and be amazed!

4. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    Thats very strange. But def call AEM and let them know what happening. I had an issue years ago with a set of their underdrive pulleys that I had on my Del Sol, and after contacting them, I got a call back from one of their engineers that helped me get everything straightened out. Great company. Let us know how it goes as I am very interested in getting one of their intakes for my MCS.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    What t-shirt did you use? Was it Superman or the Hulk to gain the power?

Sorry I just had to ask.....:D:p:lol:

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Must be a M/A shirt. They do add more HP ya know. :biggrin5:

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

:idea:
    Yeah but he said it was a huge boost in power so that would make it an RMW t-shirt. :ihih:

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Nah, just one of the 2XL sized M/A Shirts. The larger the size the bigger the boost.

9. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I guess from the response that they don't know why I have more torque and faster acceleration, remember this happen by chance. They seem to think it was installer error, but I think not. I wasn't looking for anything wrong, if Caliber Collision hadn't screwed up I wouldn't be here!