Interior 2nd Gen Most liked posts in thread: Airbag Warning - Only active when ECU does not see airbag?

1. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    You are correct. If you trip the warning light, you will have to have a "factory" tool to reset it, even if you replace the airbag. If you look at the write up I did for installing sparco seats, I believe I covered the resistor necessary for the seats.

I have also changed the steering wheel and hence removed the airbag. There are 2 airbag circuits in there.. just FYI. If you measure the resistance you should be OK. I dont think the ECU is overly sensitive to the variations you might see between resistors.

2. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    OK thanks for the info!

I'm good with a multimeter so I'm all set. I just didn't want to activate the ignition and be screwed.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Be sure to disconnect the battery before starting. Do not reconnect until complete.

In the event you do trip the light it does not require a dealer to reset. Any BMW/MINI shop with a GT1 or similar can reset the light. Since you are in the neighborhood, Chad has the proper tool to reset the light if need be.

4. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    +1 for unhooking the battery. You also need to know that there is a safety short on the airbag plugs to protect them from ESD. You will need to separate the short before you measure resistance, otherwise you will see 0 Ohms.

5. countryboyshane

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    #6 countryboyshane, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
    I saw that in the yellow connector and some of the stuff you mentioned in your DIY discussion. Thanks for the reminder.

6. countryboyshane

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    #7 countryboyshane, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    (moved to 2nd gen interior)