1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    More delays hobble Alfa's U.S. return

More trouble in paradise, Automotive News is reporting that Alfa's return to the US market will be delayed again. There is even mention of VW buying the Alfa brand too...

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Nothing like being "Wishey Washey" to build US consumer confidence.

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: HEY FIAT/ALFA! get those executives out of the gene pool! Prior Planning Prevents P*SS Poor Performance!:eek6::frown2::crazy::lol:

Jason

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    VW is on a roll. They are also rumored to be in negotiations to purchase International Truck and Engine.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    More 4C News

Fiat and Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said the Alfa Romeo 4C sports car will lead the brand's return to America, and he said bluntly the engine will be Italian.

"With all due respect to my American friends, it needs to be a Wop engine," Marchionne told a group of international media assembled in a conference room Monday during the first day of the Detroit auto show, using a racial slur for Italians.

Marchionne, an Italian-Canadian, used the term to describe the engine for the 4C. Fiat also owns Italian brands Ferrari and Maserati, and he said Chrysler's engines wouldn't work for an Alfa sports car.

The brand's much-anticipated return to the United States has been delayed as it struggles to get the powertrain and other elements of a future Alfa portfolio in order. The 4C has been delayed, though it is being tested in the United States.

"The car is not where it needs to be," he said.

And neither is the rest of Alfa.

"This undertaking to bring Alfa back is a one-shot deal," he said. "We're not going to change our mind. We're not going to do it twice. We're not going to execute it poorly."

Marchionne did not give a timeline for Alfa's return.

"We need to be ready for Alfa," he said. "We are not ready."

He then added: "Alfa Romeo is coming. There's not a single doubt."

Alfa's delay has been partially due to outside forces, as European economic troubles and the emergence of Maserati has limited Fiat's resources. Maserati, however, has been a bright spot for the group, with the redesigned Quattroporte leading a product blitz that includes an E-segment sedan and an SUV.

Meanwhile, he also said Lancia will be largely supported by Chrysler products rebadged for Europe. It won't get individual programs anymore.

"As the products die off, they will be replaced by Chrysler," he said.

Read more: Alfa Romeo 4C delayed - Autoweek

6. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Now you wouldn't be referring to Fiats recent junk cars, would you ol buddy.:Thumbsup:

Jason

7. ccain

ccain Active Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    Well, if it's anything like any other late model Alfa, no one will buy one until their used because they don't seem to hold their value. $55K new, $9K used after one or two years. :frown2:

I remember when Fiats and Alfas used to be sold regularly in the US. They didn't seem to make the sales numbers because the climate back then was "if you don't buy American, you're a pinko commie" or something like that.

Couple that with the fact that gas was affordable back then along with the inflated prices of imported cars and Billy-Bob didn't mind driving around in a a gas guzzler. With the import tariffs most European cars were fighting to compete with better equipped domestic hulks.

Besides, Fiats and Alfas are both historically "fiddly" cars and most Americans are either too lazy, lack the technical prowess or are just plain uninterested in wrenching on their own cars. But, who can blame them if the prices are astronomical? Why not buy something dependable with a long warranty period?

I'll bet you all you're seeing here is nothing more than plain old apprehension in releasing these to the American market due to historical data.

Of course, (and here is where I begin digressing :biggrin5:) if you can't put a soccer ball sticker on it and call it an "SUV" I doubt that the masses here will buy many of them. :frown2: It seems like the "big three" have utilized some sort of psychological weapon against the American public and have brain washed them into thinking they have an ABSOLUTE need for a gas swilling, gigantic SUV. So much so that automakers in the rest of the world are following suit and building them to import. Do we really want or need a BMW or Mercedes SUV?

I've never understood the fact that there is a conference table somewhere in Detroit with a bunch of feeble minded, ancient executives setting around it dictating to the American people what they are allowed to buy and not buy with their hard earned money.

I can literally think of about 50 different models of cars available to the whole of Europe that I personally would be interested, as an American, to purchase. Yet, we cant get our hands on any of them.

OK... I'm done babbling. :biggrin5: I need another cup of coffee.

8. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    The problem is Chrysler not Fiat. Fiat is having the same issues Daimler-Benz had when they owned Chrysler. Chrysler's old guard doesn't want to do anything to change.

9. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: That would be NICE. The only thing that the Miata needs is a Turbo Charger with the required upgrades.:Thumbsup:

Jason

10. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I miss my Mazdaspeed Miata...:(

11. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
  12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I've been reading about this over on the Miata.net forums for a while. Could be interesting.

Still have my 95 NA.... :D

13. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Even if the get close to this car:

[​IMG]

It'll be a huge hit.

14. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Had to post again.

Look at this thing!

[​IMG]

Too good to be true???

15. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Here's another

[​IMG]

16. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
  17. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0