Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Alt Pad for Gen 1 JCW Brakes?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by GeorgeCo, May 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. GeorgeCo

GeorgeCo Site Sponsor
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    Motorer
    Mt. Airy, MD
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Are there any other pads available for the Gen 1 JCW brake calipers or just MINI? Just curious. Seem to get good wear out of them, but would appreciate something with less dust....

2. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I think every pad manufacture makes an option now, as the pads are the same as the standard r56 brakes.

EBC Greens are very low dust producing, but thats they only positive to them. I think the latest 'ravings' are for the EBC Reds and the Carbotech Bobcats.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Don't forget the BavarianAuto Cool Carbons. Excellent pad.

4. Vernon29RW

Vernon29RW New Member

May 22, 2009
    Pat-Med, NY
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Iim surprised there wasn't more activity on this thread. With all the different pad options there are, I would have thought everyone would have wanted to chime in with their opinions. I just picked up a set of R56 calipers for my '05 S and need to buy pads and rotors. With there being so many options I'm lost as to what I should go with. I'm still on my OEM pads and rotors so I've never done a HPDE or an auto-x although I'd like to start. Basically a reliable set of slotted rotors that can take some occasional abuse and a street pad with done improvement over stock and alternatively a track type pad that can be switched out easily without requiring rebedding in etc.

5. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I have the EBC reds on mine now, after the breakin period they work great and very low dust compared to the OEM pads that "were supposed to stop dusting after the first 300 miles" lol. NOT!

Cheers
    Mr. Jim

6. Vernon29RW

Vernon29RW New Member

May 22, 2009
    Pat-Med, NY
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't really know why but I am turned off to EBC stuff. I know I have read negative reviews on them with regards to track/high temp usage but there are probably negative reviews for almost every make out there. I was thinking Hawk HP+ or Carbotech bobcats. Rotors, I'm still confused on.

7. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Rotors won't really make much of a difference for what you're talking about. Just find something that fits your price range. You'll pay extra for the slots, too.

You're headed in the right direction on pads. We could all pipe up with our favorite pads, but it's tough to give a qualified opinion on something you replace every 40,000 miles, which isn't often, especially with all the different pads out there.

My advice, call your favorite site sponsor, discuss your driving style and budget, and he or she can steer you in the right direction. For track pads, talk to the guys you autocross or track with. MINIs brake like Miatas, older BMW 3-series, and newer Civics, so talk to those guys and see what they like.

8. checkers

checkers Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 0 / -1
    As far as pads I'm still looking, but on rotors I put the 07 JCW's from Mini. I like the look and the price. They are sloted and drilled. I know evertbody says they won't hold up on the track, but I havn't had any problems yet.

9. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    I am running the R56 rotors and calipers on my R53, with EBC reds. I put some really hard usage on them @MOTD. I have nothing but good things to say about this setup.

10. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    George, carbotech bobcats are another option--low dust, good on the rotors.

11. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Local auto-x guys seem to be favoring the Bobcats quite a bit. Personally, ill likely go with the AX6 from Carbotech next. After having a set of EBC Greens, i have a bad taste in my mouth concerning EBC in general.

Checkers, i do have the factory drilled/slotted rotors and have had no issues out of them, BUT that is w/o a real aggressive track pad, and w/o hot r-comps. I think when you factor in a "track-pad" w/ ultimate tire stick, the rotors become the weak point even with the beveled edges on the drilled holes.

IMO Quality rotors are important, even if solid. A cheap solid rotor has a great risk of cracking and wrapping, so as much as a cheap drilled one. Brakes arent cheap any which way you cut it, especially if you plan on abusing them on a track, and they are the VERY last thing you would want to give out on you...

12. Vernon29RW

Vernon29RW New Member

May 22, 2009
    Pat-Med, NY
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    This is exactly my point about the rotors. I'm sure I could go to advance auto parts and buy a set of rotors. And the first time I actually "drive" the car they'll probably warp on me. There is something to be said about getting your moneys worth with rotors. Dba's seem very nice for what they are and are at the top of the solid rotor price point. I'm wondering if its worth the extra money to pay for their own ventilation design and temp paint?! Powerslot, tsw, and stoptech are the other three that come to mind with regards to solid slotted rotors. Have no idea why one or the other though.

Steve

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Don't dismiss the Brembo rotors.

14. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    For rotors - there's also these - which are run by the guys on the RSR MINI cars - they are the same size as the JCW R53 or standard R56 rotors.

[​IMG]

15. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, and a little over $700 for just the pair. WAAAAY overkill for a most street car that may or may not see a track day a year IMO.

I dont think you can go wrong with ATE, EBC, or Brembo solid rotors.

16. Vernon29RW

Vernon29RW New Member

May 22, 2009
    Pat-Med, NY
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yeah WOLF, nice suggestion, they are very nice, but certainly not reasonable for the average driver.

KC, I forgot the ATE's in the list. I hate the way those slots look in the TSW's and ATE's. It just doesn't look right. And I also noticed some of these companies don't mill their slots to the outer edge of the rotor. What's the point of the slot if there is no exit to the groove??? Maybe I'm not clear on the actual performance of the slot but I always thought they milled it to the edge so the material could be "flung" out the end of the groove from natural rotation. Maybe I need a little clarification?

Anyways, picking this stuff out is turning out to be harder than it was trying to find someone selling a set of calipers! SHEESH

Steve

17. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    I will let you know on the DBA 4000 rotors, I will have the fronts mounted up with Hawk pads on Thursday.

I have had the DBA 4000 on the rear with Hawk pads for 1 week, very strong, so far no issues.

Detroit Tuned sourced the rotors and pads for me.

Don

18. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    The slots don't reach the edge on purpose. If you run the slots to the edge of the rotor, it creates a stress concentration in the groove when the rotor heats and cools, expands and contracts. This leads to cracking and premature failure. Think of the asphalt pavement surrounding bridge expansion joints. That edge around the expansion joint takes a beating when the joints open up. (The principle isn't exactly the same but analogous nonetheless.)

The slots still do their job and scrape the brake pads clean. The slot just opens up a channel under the brake pad as it passes over the rotor. Outgassing is less prominent in modern pads, but the slots do provide a bit of expansion room for gas, brake dust, and water. They also provide a good reference as to how worn the rotors are.

19. Vernon29RW

Vernon29RW New Member

May 22, 2009
    Pat-Med, NY
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    #19 Vernon29RW, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
    I would agree with you, because it does make sense logically. However why would a company like TSW/WMW produce rotors that do have slots milled to the edge when they are definitely regarded in the Mini community as a company known to produce quality, race proven parts? I also noticed ATE, EBC, and DBA all mill their slotted rotors to the outer edge as well. It's hard to tell on the pictures posted on TCE's site but I think a few of the Wilwood rotors are also milled to the edge. Anyone else have any thoughts on this. Is this something I should take into consideration in my purchase if I do want to go out on the track with them occasionaly?

Also please let me know if I'm WAY over thinking this?! LOL I'm starting to get the feeling I'm taking this way too serious, but maybe I'm not. This is my first time purchasing performance brakes for a car that I've owned. I've changed plenty of brakes before on a lot of different cars I've owned but none of them warranted buying anything other than stock/auto part store brand.

Thanks,
    Steve

20. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you're right, unless you're regularly tracking your car you really won't see a difference between two types of rotors, other than longevity and aesthetics. Rotors are pretty straightforward - they're hunks of metal. If one rotor is more expensive than another, it'll probably last longer. So pick your price range and purchase rotors accordingly. Slots will cost a little more, too. I apologize if I'm complicating things for you, I was merely interested in the theoretical implications of rotor design. I'm an engineer, which probably explains a few things. :biggrin5: