Exterior 1st Gen Alta light bar setup variations

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Aeromax, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Aeromax

Aeromax New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Graphic designer
    Trumbull, CT
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I ordered the Alta bar earlier this week. Couldn't resist, because it was a clearance item- $55. Currently I have two Hella 500's mounted on homegrown brackets, and they're mounted halfway up the front of the car. Looks good, and functions well.

When I get the alta bar, I'm going to consider some different options for what kind of lights I want. I definitely want amber colored fogs. I will probably leave the driving lamps where they are as opposed to move them down onto the bar, because I want to keep them fully functional as driving lights. I probably won't be doing the 4 6-inch lights across like a lot of other people have done. Anyone want to share any more unique alta bar setups that they've done?

2. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Here's my install. Keep in mind that IA is a front tag state which led me to this two-light option with the Aero Kit -- might not be of any interest to you. I also snagged multiple sets of the clear covers for the IPF lights before they were discontinued; they're great because you can leave them in place all the time.

Since the mounting is about as low as you can go (only 1/8" clearance under the rear ends of the bar) they work great as fogs, and the optional 100w bulbs nicely supplement the high beams for nighttime deer evasion. I have them wired independently from the high beams for max flexibility of use.

Seems as though folks have had varying degrees of satisfaction with Alta products and services but I have no complaints with this bar. It is solid as a rock and after two years the finish is almost like new. $55 was a good deal for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Aeromax

Aeromax New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Graphic designer
    Trumbull, CT
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah in CT I believe we're "supposed" to have a front plate, but I haven't had one since I got my first car when I was 17, and I've never had a single issue... so, I leave it off. Because of this I'll have room for options if I decide to put 4 lights on the bar. For now, I'll have two on there like you do, but probably more along the lines of amber hella 450's.

4. lumpy

lumpy New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Marketing Manager - The Cleveland Clinic
    Cleveland, OH
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are these light bars pretty much dead-done-gone or do any vendors still have these in stock? I've seen the complete Alta kits, but not the bars by themselves.

Maybe this has already been covered, but I am new to MINI as of a few weeks ago. :eek:

5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    If you call Alta directly you can likely negotiate a price for just their bar and mounting hardware without the lights and wiring harnesses. You might find an alternative source for a bar that is less expensive, but at least this might be one option for you.