2nd Gen R55 Clubman Alternative to MINI OEM roof basket...

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Tata Steva, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Tata Steva

Tata Steva MINI of the Month - September 2010

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    #1 Tata Steva, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
    Well, the new one at the dealer here in Toronto is almost $600 :)mad:), and the one I found used on NAM, the seller was to busy sending it... So, I started searching the net. Close and far... After a few days an interesting option came out: I found an ad in one of Audi forums that someone local was selling OEM basket that looked like MINI's only I knew it would be bigger. Price: $175 :)D)...

[​IMG]

I contacted the person, and waited if he call me back. Two days after, I got the call and I set up a meet ASAP as there was others on the forum wanting the same basket. I went and picked it up. It was MINT and HUUUUGE! $175 later, I got it!

[​IMG]

My first idea was to sell it for profit and buy new MINI basket at the dealer. Posted the ad locally. I got a few calls with in the day, but no buyer... So, I decided not to wait any more.

So after few hours in garage this morning, I had a custom basket for CLUBMAN. I basically, "slimmed" the AUDI basket to about 55% of the original width. Same length. It is now longer than OEM MINI basket, which is fine. To me it looks fine on Clubman's long roof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it is narrower than MINI's as well. I like that, too. The extended length of it will be great for lugging my camera gear ( mostly stands and tripods that fit in soft bags longer that OEM basket, so no sticking out). You see, I do make my living by shooting stills and video, so this is puuuurfect!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did a test drive today, and except a bit more wind noise from the structure on the roof no funny sounds... A called it a success...

2. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    very nice

3. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Kills gas mileage, but looks nice.

4. Tata Steva

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I drive MINI, don't care about gas mileage :biggrin5:

A few more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one while "in use" last summer:

[​IMG]

:tu:

5. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I was going to ask you about this rack in your photo thread. At the original size of the Audi basket would it have fit on the MINI crossbars? BMW sells a basket just like this as well.

6. Tata Steva

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, original size would fit on OEM cross bars... But, it looks silly as it the edge curved "beams" of the basket are "floating" off the roof because it is wider than the roof... All in all, looks really disproportional all together (for my taste). By modifing the width, it all fits better on Clubman's longer roof line. I would not put this one on regular MINI, it would be too long. OEM basket fits better on it...
    :Thumbsup:

7. e46tor56

e46tor56 New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    BMW/MINI Parts Advisor
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    With it shortened you can fit a snowboard holder or bike carrier at the same time.

Love the house in the last photo.

8. Tata Steva

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0

Yup, I will eventually get the Thule single bike rack. I have to buy a light bike first, as the one I have now is way too heavy for lifting on the top of the roof. Nice aluminum fixie is on the list for next summer...
    Yeah, house is very nice. Not mine, sorry. Just a client I worked for:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:Thumbsup:

9. LostDenverite

LostDenverite New Member

Jul 24, 2012
    C3M Territory
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    How did you "slim it down" and why as it appears you still have room on your roof for it to be wider??

10. Tata Steva

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    The "slimmation" was done by shortening the widht of front and rear tubes that frame the basket (dismantling the basket and cutting off the same piece on both ends), than taking out 2 long tubes from the bottom of the basket and repositioning the remaining 3 to proper spacing with in a new frame.

Yes, there is more room on the roof for tree reasons: first I wanted a basket at the first place so I can put my tripod and stands bags on the roof of the car (and for that I did not need basket wider than it is), second I wanted to have room to mount single bike carrier on top as well, third I just wanted to look cool by being asymmetrical to one side...:biggrin5: