1st Gen R53 Cooper S Alternator or Battery?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by a91nicole, Mar 12, 2012.

1. a91nicole

a91nicole New Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi there,

Okay so basically, around six months ago I had to replace my car's battery. My original battery just completely died due to a fan issue which I have since fixed. I got a new battery according to the recommendation of the Advanced Auto Parts Guys. It was working pretty well for a while.

I suppose around a month ago, I noticed my car would occasionally be a little slow to start every now and then. No battery/alternator warning lights came on, and it never died.

Well tonight, I went to go somewhere and I unlocked my car and opened the door and suddenly the power completely died- like EVERYTHING. The automatic locks wouldn't even working. Thinking I must've left a light on or something I called a friend to jump me off. His car was attached to mine for probably ten-fifteen minutes. My electrical system worked fine while the vehicles were attached, but the car itself wouldn't start. As soon as we turned his vehicle off and detached the cars, the system went completely dead again.

My plan is to go back to the store where I purchased the battery yesterday and see what they have to see when they check it.

I was just wondering if anyone here knew whether or not this was a battery issue or an alternator issue? Did I just get a crappy battery or is my alternator dead?

And if its the alternator, where's the best place to get it fixed and by another- a chain like advanced auto parts, a local shop, or should I try to find a dealer?

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Without knowing where you are, I advise going to and clicking on our sponsor list for you to find the closest reliable Mini shop. Minis are a specialized breed and only shops that work on a lot of Minis can give reliable and cheaper(usually) than dealer service. If the battery store says that the battery is not the problem then do go to the nearest independent Mini shop/garage. To keep their customers coming back, there are going to help as much as they can. I'm sorry about your Mini and wish you luck in getting her well.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    its either the battery or alternator....which battery did you get?ive worked with advanced auto guys before and i ended up getting a Optima...or it could be the alternator...does the inside of your car have a faint sulfur smell...should smell like rotten eggs...if it is infact the battery...get the optima...if you want i can give you the part number for the optima that fits my R53 so you which one to get also if the alternator died i would look at either the stock Denso or a Bosch...or if you can live without your car for a bit there are plenty of places that can rebuild them for you...if your alternator died chances are the brushes in it have worn down