2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Another MINI Mystery!

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Dwight, Apr 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Pulled my rear seat today to make extra room for some stuff I have to haul. Under the seat I found yet another MINI puzzler. A carefully secured cable with pull ring (see pic). Not a word about it in the manual. If it was some kind of emergency release, why would it be hiding under the seat which is a minor chore to remove. I'm clueless, but I ain't touching it! Anybody know what it is? :confused5:

Attached Files:

2. Tron Chief

Tron Chief "Need More Coffee"
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Maintenance Supervisor Del Monte, retired 30 year
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Boot release

3. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Chief! Sure is in a nice convenient location. I assume it's for when you've got a complete electrical failure. Did I miss it in the manual?

4. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I thought it was the release lever for the under car shark tank. That way you can easily distract your pursuers with a land shark. Not something you want to mistake for your e-brake release. :blush2:

5. Tron Chief

Tron Chief "Need More Coffee"
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Maintenance Supervisor Del Monte, retired 30 year
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    nothing like working on the R53 when the battery is in the boot so you go to change it out and in the process someone closes the boot. Now you have no battery so no electrical locks will work, can't get to the area because you have the rear seats in and up along with a deck lid :cryin: Its times like this when you either need to use the lever that if you got the car used you hope someone did not take out or a person with skinny arms to reach behind the seats to let one of them down so you can squeeze a battery thru the car and get the boot open.