Exterior 1st Gen Answer to clear taillights

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by jiminni, Mar 28, 2010.

1. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Well after numerous times getting pulled over for no "red" on the back of my car this is what I came up with. I think it came out pretty good. After looking at the back of cars for weeks this is what I liked. I liked that they follow the contour of the grill. They are off of a Lexus G470, they are not cheap either :cool:

Attached Files:

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Are they lit up or just reflectors?

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I had the same exact tail lights on my '03 and never got a second look from LEO's about them; I'm surprised given the number of new cars that have clear lenses from the factory that they'd hassle you about those. What part of the world do you live in?

Must be California some where.....

4. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Those are really well sourced...Sideways Approved!
    I had the Clear tails on my '06 and only got pulled over once because it was rainy and the officer said he couldn't determine if there was enough red on the bulbs I used...
    I ended up getting a ticket for not having my ownership and insurance info on me at the time...I had changed wallets the day before and didnt know how I could have missed those pieces of info.

5. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Nice work. I think the official factory clear lenses came with red reflectors to be added in the rear grilles, too. Mazda 3 and 6 models have similar reflectors, so those might be cheaper than Lexus parts.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Those reflectors look darned good.:Thumbsup: I think I may add them to my MINI even though it has red tails already.

7. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :lol: My sense of humor is pretty dry. I would have gotten personalized plates that said "RED" and taken them to court. :devil::idea::incazzato: Jason

8. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
  9. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Just reflectors.

Yep, Kalifornia :lol:

I looked at those also, they are straight on both ends, liked the curve of the Lexus ones :cool:

10. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    They look factory installed! Nice choice and great location.

11. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Clever...

12. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Funny, I have the rear fogs on my R56 and I want to blacken them out with some film :)

Like your license plate holder. The cloth cover though will never hold up in the wind. Reminds me of Top Gear Season 3 Episode 4 where they did the wind test for the toupee. That was funny! :lol:

13. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Ummm... they look good and all. but you'll can still get a ticket. I had clears and i had reflectors. And i still got a ticket for the tails. :(

14. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :( In what State(of the Union) ? :popcorn:Jason

15. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Thanks !, but since I know your coming over in a few weeks I'm actually going to pull them off and do a even better job installing them :cool:. Gotta do extra clean work now that we see each other more often :lol:

16. jiminni

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Are you in California? If you are then you should have fought the ticket. Here is what I got cited for, "CA VC 24607 (B)", which reads:

24607. Every vehicle subject to registration under this code shall at all times be equipped with red reflectors mounted on the rear as follows:

(a) Every vehicle shall be equipped with at least one reflector so maintained as to be plainly visible at night from all distances within 350 to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of the lawful upper headlamp beams.

Then you have to go to (b) which reads:

(b) Every vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a low-speed vehicle , manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1965, shall be equipped with at least two reflectors meeting the visibility requirements of subdivision (a), except that trailers and semitrailers manufactured after July 23, 1973, that are less than 30 inches wide, may be equipped with one reflector which shall be mounted at or near the vertical centerline of the trailer. If the vehicle is equipped with two reflectors, they shall be mounted as specified in subdivision (d).

Then you have to go to (d) which reads:

(d) When more than one reflector is required, at least one shall be mounted at the left side and one at the right side, respectively, at the same level. Required reflectors shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than 60 inches, except that a tow truck, in addition to being equipped with the required reflectors, may also be equipped with two reflectors which may be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than the maximum allowable vehicle height and as far forward as the rearmost portion of the driver's seat in the rearmost position. Additional reflectors of a type meeting requirements established by the department may be mounted at any height.

So as you can see I am completely legal according to the law :D..... Now about that no front license plate either........:idea: