1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Any BPV experts?

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There are a few things that could cause this issue. Being an 03 it is getting a little older and since you probably picked it up used you probably do not know the service history.

Over time the spring can go on the BPV, you can zip type it to prevent it from opening and see if that helps.

You are lucky, in Philly there is a great MINI / BMW Shop, Helix Motorsports . I'd swing by and have the guys give the car a onceover. You'll find them quite knowledgeable and easy to work with. Please don't forget to mention you heard about them on Motoring Alliance.

2. b0bbY

b0bbY New Member

Jun 5, 2011
    loser.
    Philly area
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    already spoke to eric at helix...they are super busy and cant look at the car til the 28th...so thats not an option. not waiting that long. the car only has 58k on it...bought it with 20k 2 years ago. car was babied and rarely used by previous female owner and completely stock. was her second car. hence the low miles. just to be sure. the valve is closed when the arm on the valve is pulled out correct im thinking about tying it shut and seeing if that helps.

3. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    The supercharger does not spool like a turbo, its rpm is fixed to engine speed. Boost begins around 3500 rpm (depending on SC pulley size) when the valve closes.

Place a finger on the BPV actuating arm, push inward a few times, the arm should return without noise, move smoothly, and have resistance when pressed. I can feel when a spring is broken, the "tink" may not translate to you. Observe the arm while starting the car, it should pull backward, and return with the key off. A butterfly that fails to return while under acceleration usually results in limp mode.

4. b0bbY

b0bbY New Member

Jun 5, 2011
    loser.
    Philly area
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #5 b0bbY, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
    The car has header, cat back, cai, and 15% pulley. I'm fully aware of the difference between a SC and a turbo. When the car is off. The pulley is in a neutral position. Not open completely or closed. when I press on the arm it goes in with a lil resistance and when it is almost all the way in...it clicks. When the car is started the arm goes all the way in. And I can't pull it back with my finger. Waiting for a friend to get here. But when my dad hit the throttle the arm would come all the way out...then go right back in if that helps? I'm gonna check again when he gets here.