1st Gen R50 Cooper ANYONE build a r50 engine yet??

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Thumper460, Feb 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Well, I hope I haven't opened up a big shitstorm here. Money certainly is an object, and I'm not interested in running nitrous. I'm not looking to build the worlds fastest r50, just want to be able to accelerate a little quicker, and maybe climb hills without having to redline in third and say a prayer. I appreciate all the info and opinions, and will consider everything. I hope some r50 owners with camshafts, heads, or tunes will turn up before this thread gets locked!

2. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I do have a "Jan Tune" as it's called on my R50 engine. Granted I only picked up 7-8 HP and TQ peak, BUT there were areas within the curve that I gained 15 ft lbs. I now have a whopping 113 HP and 113 Ft Lbs... at a cost of about $450 for the tune/dyno time... Been on the car for about 5 years and 80,000 miles and still kicking.. I do have a DDM CAI, and Megan Racing cat-back.. both installed before tune.. Maybe with a good cam you could pick up another 8-10 HP MAYBE, which would put you in the 120-125 HP area.. and $800- $1000 spent range depending on cam install rate, and which cam you buy... Just not much power to be gained in the R50 engine at any price really.. So it just depends on what you want and how much money your willing to spend to get it..

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    FYI~
    The rods are so weak and thin in the R50 first shot of nitrous will put them out the front of the block. The R50 motor is not the R53 motor.

Money is a object to me, so that is why I went with tested and proven parts. I like to buy parts that work and are reliable year in and year out.

Just saying....................................:devil:

4. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Exactly... the whole lower half of the motor is not built as strong as the R53.... not a good foundation for certain applications like nitrous.

5. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Nitrous nuff said

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N618fLxQP6w]David After Dentist After REMIX[/ame]

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Some people should re-read a post before they post it. The only point you made was mine.

" It is better to be thought Stupid. Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!"

Some people should stick with 70's motors and toy with Saturday night Mustangs getting them to "Cam-up".

Just me ..................

7. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    30 whp is 30 whp.. the guy said he does not want to run Nitrous, get over it!!

Just saying...........................

Thumper

8. yellowbritishrocket

yellowbritishrocket Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    we are calling to the fact that nitrous is a surefire death knell for a stock R50 motor and your the one who has been crowing about how nitrous is the only way to go...

9. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Jason

10. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Nitrous is NEVER the way to go.... ........ .... ... . .. . .:prrr:

11. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #51 Thumper460, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
    Ok you guys.. wake up. This IS 2012 NOT 1970!!
    Any power adder is only as good as the intelligence of the applier, yes??

Take the 'weak' r50, add a cylinder head, add a camshaft, add a tune.. and get ( lets say) 30 whp increase in out put.
    Now take that same 'weak' r50 and just add a 30 HP Nitrous Jet. WTF??
    Cost.. Head / cam / tune = $1965.00 to $2850.00 ( depending on whos parts)
    Or.. Nitrous kit: $400.00

If you have no desire to run the bottle, then dont... This person decided NOT to, so that pretty much ends that.

Just adding..............................

Thumper

PS: actually there are 20 WHP systems out there!!

Top Gear (UK) put a system on an old worn out Jag, and beat the pants off a BMW/ Porsche/ Ferrari !! and then drove the Old Jag off the track. They were showing that 150K-250K can be beat in a 2K Nitrous fed Junker. Just a thought. I think it was Hammond that added the Nitrous. It was a good episode.

12. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
  13. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Yayyyyy lets install NOS with intake and exhaust ports the size of coffee stirs :frown2: you are trying way to hard to push the "Power on a Budget". There is no such thing there are only 3 ways to go about getting power NA or FI.

1 Good and Cheap won't be fast but will last a long time.
    2 Fast and Cheap won't last but will be fast for a limited time and cost 2 times as much to fix.
    3 Good and Fast won't be cheap but will be very fast and last a very long time.

14. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #54 Thumper460, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

All are great points!! I am still waiting for my 06 to destroy its self.. , this poster said he isnt going Nitrous. YOU must be attempting to make a point a in here somewhere?? yes?? ( This IS 2012 NOT 1970 )

Just me........ yawn...yawn.....

Thumper

15. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    What you are missing in the whole argument is this:
    adding a 50shot is INSTANT..........that shock load is much more damaging than adding 50hp at the top of the rpm range when all components are moving fast. This is called mechanical efficiency. Twisting parts at low rpms is what breaks things.

Having a true understanding of how it all works together is key. For arguments sake 50hp is 50 hp but how that 50hp destroys your car is a different story...........

Food for thought!

16. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Thumper, not trying to start anything but how often do you actually hit the Nitrous Button..
    I for one have no use for NOS on a street car that is my daily driver. I'd prefer to spend more money for the parts to make the same power and be able to use it all day, all thru the gears... Not just when I hit the button... Just my .02

17. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    That is the best way....!! My r53 is pretty stout on the engine, and still manage 30+ MPG at fast hiways speeds. Town and street lights are no issue either.

On a good sat nite I might spray 5-8 times, depends on what is out that nite. Hiway drives , I have to be ready for the Mustang or EVO, by having the bottle turned on... if not I manage still to have fun on the engine.
    ( I usually try and choose opponents that have a big brag factor, and are fast competition. And the bottle is the great equalizer.. there are a lot of times I dont even use it..lol)

I used to say...' built is fast, then spray it faster'!! As I do not have the desire to build another 1000 WHP nitrous BBF any more.

This post was about a good power builder, and as stated, there IS nothing better than laughing gas!! Is it for everyone.. NOPE!! but it amazes me how people can dis something so simple and cheap to run with outstanding results. Also it is a simple install that anyone can do. IF you dont like it, that is cool. But it is out there and a LOT of ricers don't seem to have any issues using it!! LOL

Just saying..................

Good Day!

Thumper

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nitrous is the poor mans way to add a burst power for the sort time. Example: 11.16 @ 123.1 mph on pump gas and 2600lbs :ihih::lol:
    Anyone that knows anything knows in the long term it will destroy a motor just like the stupid "sport" of drag racing itself. Nitrous is a 1/4 mile thing ONLY.

What is the end destination of most real dragracing cars at the end of a 1/4 mile...... "The Pits" for a rebuild. :lol::devil:

Intelligent people do not instal Nitrous on a DD.:Thumbsup:

Thumper why dont you take an R50 stock and add a 30 shot of Nitrous and see how far you get? I bet you would be lucky to roll an 8th of a mile after you hit the button. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

19. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I think you made my point!! LOL

Oh as for the r50 on the bottle.. I know of a few that have a lot of fun on the spray....

Dave O , sorry I am done with your petty little snipes and showing your age and automotive intelligence.. lol Find another one of my posts to try and look smart in!! Oh..Oh.. there is one on water meth you can dabble in !! LOL

ZZZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee YA

Just me...........................

Thumper

20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Just from reading or trying to read all your posts and your inability to form basic sentences I would never take advice from a person like you and would NEVER do business with you.

The lack of respect you show for anyone else’s opinions is unbelievable. Most of your posts are attacks of other M/A members, tuners and manufactures.

You are an old guy that likes to call people names and stand on a box saying “Look at me I go Saturday night Street racing on “hiways” with Nitrous. Good Job Buddy! :Thumbsup::crazy:

By the way they are called HIGHWAYS. :frown2::lol:

I like most others in the entire MINI community we are all done with you. Please take you and your crap CAMs that "Mis" more than they work and other products and just go away.

We all know you are full of hot air or in this case NOS.

Just Me…………………………….

Thumper Dumper