Anyone with an Alta exhaust?

Discussion in 'MINI5280' started by mccomber, Oct 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mccomber

mccomber New Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, I'm obviously new, and already hoping for some help of sorts. Since Alta is having a ridiculous sale, I'm more tempted than ever to upgrade my exhaust, but want to hear what their offering sounds like first. Anyone in the Denver area with a Mini that would like to meet up sometime soonish and sell me on the sound?

Oh yeah, hello everybody!

2. MINIMaybee

MINIMaybee Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    Engineer
    Centennial, CO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    OK who has the Alta exhaust? I know somebody does but I can't remember who it is.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Not from CO but Tick has one. How do I know this? I used the advanced search in the Garage for Alta Exhaust.

OK, I'm just pimping the many uses the Garage has and why everyone should create one.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I do! Ummm, but I don't count because 1) I'm nowhere near the Denver area and 2) I drive a JustaCooper.

Here's hoping someone steps up because I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Assuming you get to meet up with someone, keep in mind that ALTA have versions with different pipe diameters, etc. Not sure how different they're going to sound but figured I'd mention it.

Also, I've assumed you drive a 1st gen vice 2nd gen MINI but you probably should confirm or deny.....that just might make a difference. :wink5:

Good luck!

5. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    We have the ALTA oval tip exhaust on the kids R56. Nice sound, looks great and went on, start to finish in an hour! Like it so much that I ordered their exhaust for the Clubman. Of course the sale helped!

6. kris

kris New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Full time student, testing the tensile strength of
    rural sprawl of Missery
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hey, just want to throw in my .02. The alta makes a lower grade system, If you want something that sounds great and is ready for the long haul try the Borla Race system, or the Miltec system. WMW is selling a milteck for like 900 for an R53, and let me tell you IT'S A STEAL. The alta can sometimes sound like a honda when it hits VETEC.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcnuWMBOM5c"]YouTube - Rufios Borla Buzz[/ame]Borla
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHdrM3dI8RQ"]YouTube - Mini Cooper S R53 Milltek Sport Exhaust Sound[/ame]Milltec

Really give these a shot before you commit to ALTA. On a side note, I have herd stories of altas melting if you take your cat out, that has to say something on the standard or quality.

7. Tick

Tick New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nathan's right, I do have the Alta exhaust on my Clubman. Really no problems with it, but it's not very loud and has zero drone. Fitment was a slight issue, had to go back to the shop for an adjustment the pipe was banging on the center brace. I'll say one thing, it sure is pretty big polished pipes and mufflers, and a huge resonator.
    I had the M7 exhaust on my '04 MCS. Now that was a LOUD exhaust. Had to have a window open at 70 mph plus to relieve the drone some. I miss my '04 (Slyder) and the M7...

8. mccomber

mccomber New Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #8 mccomber, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    I've heard the Milltek is brilliant, but the Alta sale is so tempting... I've gone through my loud days with a Miata though (actually, still live them with the motorcycles) and I want something that is a little less conspicuous. Several videos I've seen of the Alta don't exactly seem to fit that description, although I do hear otherwise once in a while — helps explain why I'd like to hear it in person I guess. The Racing Beat exhaust I had on my RX8 was nearly perfect, and spoiled me by being fairly quiet at everything but WOT. I may hold off until I can hear a few, try to convince myself I wouldn't install it until Spring anyway... or at least order a couple other things and hold off on this for now.

Mine is an '05 MCS (added to my garage ;) ), somewhat stock. I really do love this car, reminds me of the fun of the Miata more than anything else I've driven. I'll have to try and make a few events, see some of the stuff other people have done to theirs. Mine has a few mods, but mostly stuff the PO did before I bought it.

9. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i have an Alta header and that is what is amazig

10. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    If your trying to save money. You can get the Stratmosphere for the R53 it is exactly the same as the Milltek in sound and performance, but the quality is actually better than the Milltek. The welds are much nicer and the stainless is higher quality. The fit of the Milltek or Stratmosphere is almost perfect. Plus NO drone. Check it out, between my parents, girlfriend and I that all have DD MINI's and ALL of them run a Milltek and ALL are happy.

11. zied

zied Club Coordinator

May 27, 2009
    Building Designer, Energy Analyst
    Healdsburg, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #11 zied, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
    I would never again buy an Alta product, only because they burned me... Back in 2005 I installed a Milltek catback on my '03 MCS. I ordered the Alta header. It not only did not fit, but the bottom of the floor had to be pounded up to clear the Oxygen sensor. It rattled like crazy. After a week I called Alta, and they admitted that they had sold it without ever testing it to see if it fit in an R-53 since their test car was already heavily modified with a turbo.

They took it back but never fully refunded the amount I spent. Plus I had to buy 2 new oxygen sensors that were destroyed from their shitty untested product. I would never purchase any products from a company that does not test their products or stand behing them when they are crap.

Those guys should have made me happy... now our club has almost 650 cars in it and I direct our members to companies that do research and development and stand behind their products.

I put a Milltek header on the car and love the sound. The Milltek exhaust by itself is way too quiet.

12. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Oh, , well I am sorry to hear your experience with Alta. I, personally, have had a great experience with them. I bought an Alta header and took out the cat. It's nice.