Apps we love...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rixter, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Another great iPad app, works on iPhone too but is much more dramatic looking on the iPad

Zite A personalized magazine that gets smarter as you use it

It's free too..

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Along the lines of the Frog playing games on the iPad we have a cat playing Fruit Ninja

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdEBgZ5Y46U]Cat Plays Fruit Ninja on iPad - YouTube[/ame]

3. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    That Zite looks like a winner. I've been saving and even managed to sell my laptop just before Christmas, so in Feb, iPad3 here I come :D

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  5. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    Camera + is great with lots of interesting effects. And SoundHound is like Shazam but .... ahem... You can sing, hum or whistle a tune and it finds the song.

6. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Check out "Action Movie" by Bad Rabbit, I have been blowing things up for two weeks, it's pretty cool, best thing it's free.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    There is a great new app that was released today (2/1/12) that I really like.

Longform

Longform delivers all of the latest in-depth articles from the world's best magazines, plus unmissable reads curated from across the web by the editors of Longform.org. Perfect for commutes, flights, or Sunday afternoons.

There has never been more incredible writing available online. Now there is a central place to find it.

I like to read, a lot. So much so that many nights the TV doesn't come on but I can be found reading on the iPad. I like to read so much that I have accounts for both the Apple Book Store and Kindle Book Store that are exercised quite a bit. Also have been reading articles off Longform.org for quite some time. The apps formats them better.

If like me you read a lot and read a lot of varied material then check this out. If your are more the twitter type, save the 5 bucks.

8. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Nate, how does that app compare against Zite?

9. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I know this is not a new app, but it's relatively new to me, Dropbox. It gives me one central spot to access lots of important stuff. Accessible from PC, BlackBerry, Mac, iOS and Android devices. Very flexible and easy to use

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    They are similar but different.

Zite grabs content you like and puts in an easy to find format. However, the vast majority of that content, at least in my case, is in short article format. Quick things like Autoblog posts, or even MotoringFile posts. Zite seems to me to center on the blogs and not that 15 page expose in the New York Times Magazine that delves deep into the subject matter. This is where Longform shines. They have no compunction showing a 5000 word article from Esquire. They also do not recommend similar topics. In Zite today in my Motorsports section there are 6 articles right now on VW and the possibility of an F1 presence from 6 different sources. Longform is smart enough to know that if I just read a 10,000 word article in National Geographic on the plight of Big Cats it's not going to recommend another one. Zite will have all the spin off articles about the same subject.

With Zite I'm getting the journalistic equivalent of fast food. Longform is a home cooked multi-course meal.

11. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Around Me

One of the first apps I loaded. It's a free app for finding nearby POIs.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Cargo-Bot

It's iPad only.

Cargo-Bot is a puzzle game where you teach a robot how to move crates. Sounds simple, right?

It features 36 fiendishly clever puzzles, haunting music and stunning retina graphics. You can even record your solutions and share them on YouTube to show your friends.

13. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I finely got around to trying "Pandora". Got the free app, programmed in the Moody Blues and Steppnwolf. In three hours of listening, I never heard a song I didn't like. Got home and upgraded to "Pandora One". This will be my LAST year for Sirius/XM. :Thumbsup:

Jim

14. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Ya know Jim... Chickins lay better when listening to good music......:D

15. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I have them listening to Led Zeppelin right now, but no eggs yet. :(

Jim

16. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    You know why they call them eggs?

If you listen closely to a chicken while she's laying, you can hear her say...

e e e e GG!

Dave

17. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Anyone tried Trapster?

"Users submit speed traps, enforcement cameras, and road hazards, that then alert all Trapster users in the area. A high-tech version of flashing your headlights to alert drivers of potential road hazards."

18. Snack

Snack New Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Spotify. For free on mobile, it has radio, similar to programs like Pandora and Slacker. ont he computer however (and why i use it over pandora/slacker) u can create playlists of songs from their database (which has almost anything i have wanted) and play them (with comercials).

If u get premium, u can stream those playlists to ur mobile. and both mobile and computer will be commercial free. Before i paid for school/MINI, I had it. I miss it. XD

RunPee is fun. Ever had to pee at the movies and wanted to know which scene to skip and run the restroom? or want to know if u should sit through the 10 minutes of credits while holding back the soda u just drank? Now u know!

I think Solomons Boneyard is my favorite game app. Its a survival game where u a wizard and have to fend off endless waves of skeletons! multiple wizards to choose from. a great challenge. I love it.

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    My problem with apps such as Spotify/Pandora and their ilk is that you put in what you already know. How do you find new music?

Apps like Radio Paradise and for progressive, independent, DJ still makes choices Radio Stations (wxpn.org) turn you on to gobs and gobs of new music.

Words with Friends, it's good for the brain, who else uses it and does anyone want to get on my game list?

20. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I haven't played words with friends in a while but you can find me if you want. I am registered through Facebook. Not really important but my friend works for Zynga, the makers of Words with friends.
    As for apps I like Daily Roads Voyager(Free on android) It's a dash cam app. Lots of options video or picture every X minutes. You pick the length of videos you want and allowed space. It records over the oldest videos as needed. You can save a video by tapping on the screen or auto save under a certain Gforce.

I will agree with Nathan from a much earlier post(referencing gas buddy) it is a bit frustrating when it comes to crowd source apps. I live in a somewhat small city. According to apps like urban spoon there are very few restaurants here.

Lastly I will recommend a game, Bananattack(Free, only on android for now) Kind of a tower defence type game. I must admit my friend made the game, his sister in law did the graphics and I helper with the French version. (hope this isn't breaking rules)