Entertainment Electronics 1st Gen ARGH!

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by SNEEEZY - Erika, Jul 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    #1 SNEEEZY - Erika, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    ARGH! :( See 2nd page...

Add-a-fuse...got one.

Ability to locate one single place for the ground wire...EPIC FAIL!

Everything that Bentley says should be near the center-stack or glovebox are HUGE...too large to fit into the ring terminal.

However, the ring terminal fits PERFECTLY if I were to use one of the MANY little screws on the back of the head unit itself.

This project is taking way longer than anticipated and I'm fairly damned handy around cars!

My parcel shelf is removed...so is the head-unit & glovebox.

HELP!

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I said a pray for you and the Xanax's are in the FEDEX over night express. :Thumbsup:

Jason

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'm going out to look under my dash. Can't remember where I attached my ground. Check back here in a while.

4. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    OK here is what I suggest. I know I have that ground attached under the dash, but I can't find it with my parcel tray attached.

Here is plan B. Open the bonnet on the drivers side near the hinge you will see some wires bolted down to the body. That is a ground. Next to the brake booster is a rubber plug. Take a ice pick or something similar & poke a hole in that plug. Now feed a wire through & bolt it down with all the other grounds. You may have to extend the wire you have so it reaches.

5. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for helping me, Crashton. I truly appreciate it.

I went back and looked in the Library for Mol's write-up for hardwiring a radar detector.

If I removed the ring connector and stripped more of the wire so it could wrap around the same ground nut she used, it would be safe, yes?

I'm going to go out & see if I have enough length to go through as you suggested.

I already have a hold in that same spot because that's where the wiring for the OEM driving lights are located.

Looking forward to seeing your reply. :biggrin5:

6. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yes that would work & it is safe. Make sure to wrap the wire around in the direction the nut tightens. If not it will want to come out when you tighten it. If you do it wrong you will see what I mean. No biggie just loop it the other way.

Wish you were local so I could be of more help. You are doing good, stick with it you are almost home. :Thumbsup:

7. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Giving up for tonight...will try again in the morning.

This has been the most difficult project to date and it should've only been slightly more difficult than installing my stubby antenna!
    :mad2::mad2::mad2:

8. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    When I needed a ground and could not find one close, I drilled a small hole in part of the interior frame work and used a self tapping screw. If you can't find one, then make one. :Thumbsup:

Jim

9. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Jim, is that the screw that I saw sticking out of your roof? :biggrin5:

10. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I don't even notice it anymore. :lol::lol:

Jim

11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yep we hung a donut on it, stealthly ground screw.

12. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    I am happy to announce that at 830 this morning, Schultze now has Sirius!

I moved the ground to a different screw and VOILA!

I routed the antenna through the headliner near the boot, down the driver side C-pillar, tucked it just under the interior body trim where it meets the glass, under the rubber seal at the door, through the "hidden compartment" of the euro parcel shelf, down through the center stack and then out through the bottom via the "trap door".

The antenna currently is tucked into the groove of the driver rear corner of the sunroof (<---technical description, eh!) and apparently mated with some metal that isn't visible to the naked eye! Reception is FANTASTIC and you can't see the antenna looking through the rear sunroof because it's under the black tinted part of the glass' edge.

Only thing left to do is find/install a mount that will fit under the center stack behind the cup holders.

Thanks to everyone who visited this thread and offered helpful advice & guidance.

:cornut::Thumbsup::cornut::Thumbsup::cornut:

13. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:Yeah for Erika.Gettum Gal :Thumbsup:

Jason

14. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Congrats Erika, we knew you would triumph over your sirius adversity. :Thumbsup:

We are all proud of you! Good on ya!!! Time for a frosty beverage you've earned it. :beer

15. SNEEEZY - Erika

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Erg...ran into an issue during the Pub2Pub run today.

Before leaving on the run itself, I turned off the car just to make sure the unit powered down when the radio powered down after 20-30 min (however long it was, I don't recall) after shutting off the engine.

Looking back, I realize now that I could've simply opened the door since that is what usually causes the radio to shut off after the engine is off, but it was early and after last night's frustration, I wasn't thinking clearly.

Anyhow, once the run started and while the engine was still in gear, the radio AND the PNP both shut off.

The PNP wouldn't come back on.

The drive continued on and 30 minutes later the radio shutdown again.

Turned the radio on and noted the time to see if it would happen again.

Well, only 20 minutes later the radio shutdown again.

At the first fillup stop, the fuse was checked and it wasn't blown.

The radio stayed on the remainder of the drive (2+ hrs) but the PNP never was able to power up again.

The OEM iPod connection shows track numbers on the radio display, but nothing plays even with the volume turned all the way up.

:confused5: