Most liked posts in thread: Artificial engine noise

1. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Kind of like virtual sex....:what:

No thank you, if the instrument doesn't produce the sound itself, I don't want it.:screwy:

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    For electric car safety, why spend all that money making artificial engine noises, when they could just clothespin baseball cards in the wheel spokes?

It's old and proven technology! :Thumbsup:

Dave

3. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Not a fan at all. It's one thing if it's for safety(electric cars) but beyond that it's cheesy. With the argument for the electric cars being too quiet what about luxury cars? Some are pretty quiet, at slow to moderate speed you barely hear some of them.
    There is also a trend starting of the real sound being being literally piped into the cabin. Basically they use so much sound deadening to keep road noise at bay that you can't hear the engine.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    BMW's Active Sound Design tech replicates engine noise inside the M5's cabin using the car stereo's speakers.

Article found here.

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: It's just not for me but, if others want it then go for it.:Thumbsup:

Jason

6. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    They might as well put in the engine sound "BECAUSE"

If any of you read Autoweek magazine look on page 9 about the Google driverless cars already on the roads in Nevada.They have already logged 200,000 miles just using sensors, camera's and radar to actually drive the car on public roads and highways.

So whats the big deal about adding a phony stupid engine sound to a high performance sports car?

If you want to puke just pick up issue for May 28th 2012 and go to page nine.

I guess the only thing good to come out of this is idiots can now "TEXT" while the car drives itself.

:mad2::mad5::mad:

7. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that was even part of the JCW Sound Kit that was produced for the N/A Gen1 cars. You can see it in the upper part of this diagram running back from an extra hole in the top the air box.

[​IMG]

8. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Or just use the same type of electric motor found in small appliances, they tend to be noisy:D

9. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Or maybe something like an audible version of deer whistles.....people whistles?

10. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    The trend for electric autos is not engine noises, but custom electronic sounds to provide driver feedback and pedestrian warning.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTnZW0LTiDc]e-Sound by Audi, the Sound Tuning of an Electric Car, Audi e-tron - YouTube[/ame]

I've heard a Fisker Karma on the street (there's a Fisker dealer near my work). It emits a weird spaceship sound like you might hear on Tron or Star Trek.

11. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    True, but that's not where BMW and Maserati are aiming, they're working on what it sounds like inside the car.

BMW are trying to make it possible for the driver to better hear the engine he's been isolated from because of attempts to attenuate road noise and other noise from outside the car. Maserati are reportedly thinking of trying to augment the sounds made by the diesel engine, again inside the car, so it will sound to the driver more like one of their traditional fire breathing offerings.

Both are about adding back a more expected, traditional version of the audio element of the visceral experience of powerful engines.

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    So..... What car was the first to purposely augment the engine sound into the cabin? MINI R56?

13. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I guess they were doing it wrong all these years

I remember that all the car company's wanted was a nice quite car that had about a ton of sound deadener installed. The old motto was "It is quieter then a Rolls Royce" How times have changed because of the stupid pedestrians texting while walking and don't look where they are going or paying a darn bit of attention to their surroundings.

When I was Riding Harley's i alway got flack because the bike was TOOOOOO loud. I guess now it is OK to run drag pipes.:crazy:

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Anyonelse thinking baseball cards in you spokes.....?

15. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    :yesnod: See post #8 ^

16. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Oops my bad I could not hear his post it must have been a hybrid.:Thumbsup::devil::biggrin5::wink: