Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Audi/VW Diverter Valve in a R56 S or JCW

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Dwight, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    This is slighly off topic, but what kind of tool(s) are you guys using to unbolt the DV? Its such a cramped space and I haven't got a long 5mm Alan key to get into the area. If somebody could post a picture that would be helpful. Thanks

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
  3. Grim

Grim New Member

May 16, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pretty much what K-huevo is using in his pic. Note that the coolant expansion tank is unbolted in his pic too. This is makes like a lot easier since you can then move it out of the way in the same manor you would to change the oil filter.

Also having a magnetized tool will help since the bolts can drop sometimes and find them selves lost in a few places. You can usually find them, but it can turn a 10 min job into 40 if you have to search for them.

4. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Is that 5mm alan or torx? And I can't quite tell from the photo but did you 'join' a few together to get the length you needed?

Thanks for the photo and magnetic tip :Thumbsup:

5. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    1/4 inch drive allen socket (stubby), 4 inch extension with 3/8 adapter & ratchet in the photo (the bolt was over-tightened previously), a six inch extension and 1/4 ratchet works also. Not shown are wand magnet to remove the bolt in the blind location, and long right angle needle nose pliers to insert the bolts for installation.

6. PaImportTuner

PaImportTuner New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used a Husky tool below, once loose you can screw it out easily. Good way to not lose screws put a shop rag/towel stuffed under the area. It'll just fall on top of it. :Thumbsup:

I could of use an electric screwdriver if I had a 5mm hex socket like k-huevo.

[​IMG]

UPDATE: Stock DV back in with Alta Spring. The factory blow off sound is back of course but it's shorter duration due to the stiffer spring I'm assuming. I'll make another bad video later on today in the same location and settings after work.

7. PaImportTuner

PaImportTuner New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why so much oil?

8. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Many thanks. One last question, is it 5mm allen or torx?

9. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Allen hex

10. TheMadDane

TheMadDane New Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Napa
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is anyone going to answer my post on page 4?

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  12. PaImportTuner

PaImportTuner New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WMW DV is a good replacement if your stock DV is broke but if it isn't then Alta spring is the best choice, later if your stock DV diaphragm rips just buy the WMW DV and swap the spring.

I wish the Audi valve had a rubberized coating on the face for sealing. When I switched back to stock the compressor housing where the the DV seals had round scouring obviously from the valve face, not a big deal but non the less it left it's mark. lol

13. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I worry about the OEM rubber diaphragm failing with pieces impacting the blades in the Turbo, wiping out that expensive part.

So the choices are;
    OEM DV (I'll list WMW in this category)
    OEM DV with Alta spring mod
    VAG
    Forge DV

It would seem the Forge has a lot going for it on the surface. It has a flexible sealing ring, no rubber diaphragm to fail, and a assortment of springs to choose from. What is the Forge downside?

14. PaImportTuner

PaImportTuner New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Price and sound. Some people don't like it. You get a Whoosh sound versus being quiet or factory tweet/whistle. $220 is a lot for a negligible difference in performance to many but they overlook the reliability and after effects of failing stock/WMW DVs. The way I would look at it is you're paying an extra $150 for piece of mind, bling and easy spring changes..

As for quality and functionality. :Thumbsup:

15. PaImportTuner

PaImportTuner New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    With that said
    New video: same road, same starting point, same time of day and weather. You can clearly hear and see the difference going back to stock with Alta spring.

1st-4th WOT, SPORT ON, DSC OFF

[ame="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d164/PaImportTuner/?action=view&current=video-2011-08-29-19-16-25.mp4"]video-2011-08-29-19-16-25.mp4 video by PaImportTuner - Photobucket[/ame]

This is another run BUT UPHILL in 1st to 3rd WOT and even uphill it revs out and accel faster than the AudiDV vid I posted the other day.

[ame="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d164/PaImportTuner/?action=view&current=video-2011-08-29-19-37-19.mp4"]video-2011-08-29-19-37-19.mp4 video by PaImportTuner - Photobucket[/ame]

VS

[ame="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d164/PaImportTuner/?action=view&current=video-2011-08-25-19-21-09.mp4"]video-2011-08-25-19-21-09.mp4 video by PaImportTuner - Photobucket[/ame]

16. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    With regard to the Forge noise issue. Can't it be mounted with and without the blowoff adapter? If it's mounted without the adapter, wouldn't the noise issue be the same or similar to stock?
    I'm not pushing the Forge unit, but for a $150 more versus the cost of a destroyed turbo and the cost for replacement (you know it'll happen hours after the warranty runs out), the choice could easily be made for the Forge unit. As far as "bling" you can hardly see it once it's installed. Information available, points to the fact that the OEM unit will fail at some point.

17. PaImportTuner

PaImportTuner New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is bling but not in a bad way, machine billet alluminum with laser etching versus raw material or PC. If you have k&n cai or nm cai or alta's hardpipe and your wires and hoses neatly routed it becomes a bling item.

I do agree that for $150 more you and I could have a completely functional safe unit that will outlast the motor in the car. I will buy one once my XXLWarranty and Maintenance free is up at 100k or Nov2013.

For the first part of your reply, I think you may be confusing the 2 things?

This is the adapter that works with stock DV. <-- some people have had problems with the adapter.
    Forge Motorsport | Alloy Fabrication

It's a 1 piece unit(but with a removable top to change springs.)<----no issues unlike the adapter.
    Forge Motorsport | Alloy Fabrication

The forge adapter and unit do not work together, as the unit has it already machined in.

18. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well.... if you look real close at this picture from Forge, you will be able to tell that the Forge BOV is actually mounted on top of the BOV adapter. So, apparently the Forge BOV can be mounted with or without the adapter. It's my understanding that the adapter is what releases the blow-off noise. And without this installed, wouldn't it sound more like the OEM BOV?

[​IMG]

19. PaImportTuner

PaImportTuner New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #59 PaImportTuner, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
    Sorry Metal,

I'm only familiar with VW/Audi Forge valve they do not require that to get open atmosphere dump. Never saw an MINI version in person.

VW/Audi
    [​IMG]

ON another note check this out. Audi "D" guys. I just came across this and totally see this happen, because I mentioned scouring on compressor housing when going back to stock DV the other day.

[​IMG]

20. PaImportTuner

PaImportTuner New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #60 PaImportTuner, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
    According to this recent article http://www.maxxd.net/forge-launches-mini-r60-countryman-dump-valves/ there are 2 models and I'm assuming venders carry recirc models to upsell the spacer and make more money? I'd much rather have the atmosphere dump model since they are both the same price. Saves me having to buy a $80 adapter.

model 1
    http://www.forgemotorsport.com/content.asp?inc=product&cat=140101&product=FM207V

model 2
    http://www.forgemotorsport.com/content.asp?inc=product&catalog=140101&cat=140101

It seems like everyone carries model 1 and sell the adapter to make more profit or to allow the consumer to choose what they want.