Entertainment Electronics 1st Gen Audio Systems...

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by dawnie, Mar 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. dawnie

dawnie New Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Personal Assistant and Merchandiser
    Port Orchard,WA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    So I headed to car toys today after work to have a look see... The system that has me hooked will be $2k... I like my music crisp and clear with some bass... Currently the Harman Kardon installed speakers rattle and sound distorted. And the factory stereo is not me...
    So the line up thus far is all around new Focal speakers, Pioneer receiver and there is room for a slimline sub and box in the boot... that still lets me put my work stuff on top...

So now I'm curious what is eveybody else running in their MINI's and what do you like or dislike about your set up...

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    Stock system not even a Harman Kardon. but I did put Kicker speakers in it when the stock ones died. Not enough clarity

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    HK for me, it's OK not great. Gets loud enough to hear what I like when the windows are down, the sunroof is open and the loud pedal is cranked to 11.

For me at this point an aftermarket setup is just not in the cards. I save my serious listening for the couch.

4. dawnie

dawnie New Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Port Orchard,WA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I may wait on a receiver but at this point speakers are a must... the rattling sound of blown speakers makes listening to my beloved tunes irritating... Good news is I just looked at crutchfield... half the cost for what I want

5. Apex

Apex New Member

Jan 19, 2014
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I am just running the stock system for now, may upgrade the speakers in the future when they go. I ran an active 2.1 system in my F150 for about 5 years and the amount of weight I had in that system is not touching the MINI! Light is fast! :Thumbsup:
    When I get another truck I'll play with a full stereo again.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The HK system is very well integrated into the car. You can't just change the speakers. I don't know much more than that about it either as I don't really pay attention to those threads. Someone will be along that knows this all a lot better.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Very nice choice on the front components :Thumbsup: Focal makes great speakers and you will need to add an amp since they like lots of clean power. I have a pair and they set me back just about a grand a few years ago and still sound great. I have 2 JL Audio amps and a JL Audio 10W 3 in the back. I have not listened to the radio in about 6 years because I got an Alpine iPod interface head unit and the 120 GB iPod in the glovebox has all the music I ever need.

You can also get a JL Audio HD 900 -5 (100 x 4 + 500 x1) 100w each door and 500 for your sub and it will sound great. I had this set up for years and will rock hard rock and play classical with out changing any settings.

The JL Audio amps are made in the USA and they can be expensive but they are absolutely worth it. The HD amps are small digital amps that are solid clean high power for multiple ohm loads and very efficient.

One thing I would make sure you add to get the best out of any system is Dynamat sound deadening. Especially for the inner and out front doors and the rear hatch because it makes everything sound so much better and the bass tighter.

8. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Upgrading a Harmon Kardon system is a problem. It is a proprietary system where the components are matched to each other and not compatible with aftermarket. For example, speakers are 2 ohm impedence (non-standard) with no crossovers (digital crossovers are built into the HK amp). Crossovers are the circuits that filter the signals for the speakers (e.g. high frequencies for tweeters, low frequencies for woofers). Likewise, the HK amp can't be simply swapped out for an aftermarket amp.

To upgrade an HK system, it would be better if you do a complete system replacement and swap out everything all at once.

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ahh yes the wonderful HK system. The only thing you can use from it is the wires going to the doors and rears and the remote trigger wire the rest of it is useless. It's the same as any Bose system installed in other cars. You can wire around it, but it's a PITA for an amateur but it can easily done with excellent results by a good shop.

10. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    On the first gen's even the wiring for the speakers needs changed when you upgrade the HK system. Its less of a PITA to do it that way anyhow...

What do I know though, all that is left of an audio system in my MINI is, the stock door speakers, and stock head unit... Cant hear it anyhow.

11. dawnie

dawnie New Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Port Orchard,WA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Ok... Just so I understand... According to Crutch-field and even Car Toys I would be able to keep stock receiver and easily swap out speakers using existing wires... From all you fellow M/A's that does not seem to be the case... What if its not HK equipped? The lot I bought D.B. from stated on sales card that it was equipped but how do I really know?

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    With the last 7 characters of your VIN visit:

BMW Model Archive · BMW VIN Decoder · bmwarchive.org

In 2006 I think the code is S674A HiFi System Harman Kardon At least it is for my 2006 build car.

You can determine a lot from that site.

If non-HK it's easy.

If HK you replace it all.

There are bridges and stuff but they limit you and make things even more complex.

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^^ yup rip that HK crap out and do it right. As Harmon has become its own power hungry empire and does not make unique high sound quality equipment any longer and are just living off the brand name like Bose.

Don't get me wrong the old HK & Bose stuff was incredible back in the day.

Here is a list of the audio companies they own now.
    AKG
    Amek
    BSS
    Crown
    DBX
    Digitec
    DOD
    Harman Kardon
    Infinity
    JBL
    Lexicon
    Mark Levinson
    Soundcraft
    Studer

14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  15. dawnie

dawnie New Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Port Orchard,WA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Okay... So I got stuff I didnt know I had and stuff that I thought I had that I dont... I see no mention of HK... but supposedly I have a 6 disc changer... I also supposedly have heated locks and mirrors... LOL anyway there is no way that the stereo in there is a 6 disc...

16. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    What is this "Disc" you speak of? Some sort of adapter for a Zune?

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The 6 disc changer is just a premiere in the trunk on the right side.

An easy way to tell if you have an HK system is look at your door speaker grills.

Just like Bose HK likes to put its name on everything. Sometimes they even have the silver Harmon Kardon trim rings.

18. dawnie

dawnie New Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Port Orchard,WA
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    The strange round silver thing resembling vinyl... the thing after 8 track and cassettes... the thing before we started downloading our beloved music...

19. TheModFather

May 15, 2012
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Oh those things scattered all over shooting ranges around the country... Extra points if you hit the hole!

20. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    That's what she said!?