2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Auto levelling headlamps that don't. Ideas?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by maacodale, Jun 5, 2011.

1. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Hey Gang, the kids 07 MCS headlamps don't self level any more. Of course he says this has been going on for a while. Does he tell me? Nope! So I'm trying to do some diagnosing and ain't gettin' far. Any clues?

2. carman63

carman63 Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Purcellville, VA
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    1. Bad / disconnected sensor? (front or rear)
    2. Has the suspension been changed? i.e., lowered? They might need adjusting if so.
    3. Can you manually adjust them? Should be a hex screw to allow you to manually adjust them to get them back to spec. After you 'reset' them that way, you can restart the car and see if they auto-level properly.

Good luck, Dale! :Thumbsup:

3. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    While detailing the engine bay, I checked and played with everything close to the headlamps. They're working now. I'd like to say it's my 30 years of body shop experience, but I think luck was more likely.

4. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My MINI's been lowered 1.2" F/R with NM springs. Would that be enuf to jam the auto-levelers? Also, I recently noticed that the lights are not centered in the bezels like they used to be. The hood has not been racked and still lines up everywhere else. Puzzled!? :confused5: