1. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I'm really looking forward to the autocross, I'm excited to see how many others are signed up too!
    Does anyone know how classing / car numbers are going to be assigned? Will we all just do that at the event, or will there be a way to pre-register class/car # before the event?

Are we running standard SCCA classing or will there be MINI specific class rules?

Counting down the days!!!!

Jason

2. Nelzie

Nelzie New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    If you have done any engine mods to your MINI, then you are going to be in a class that is (at least in the local Detroit Region Sports Car Club) called CMT. I don't do SCCA events, but the DRSCC follows the SCCA rules almost exactly for classing vehicles.

Stock MINI Coopers would be classed in THS, Stock MINI Cooper S will be in TDS, while JCWs will be in TCS, I think that GPs would also be TCS.

If you are running any of the following or all of the following, then you will be in the Street Prepared version of the class: Lowering Springs, Coil Overs, Wider than Stock Tires, Slotted Rotors if your MINI didn't come with Slotted Rotors.

The only Mods you are allowed to make and remain in a Stock Class are as follows: Tires on Same Size as stock wheels, Catback Exhaust, Better Brake Pads/Fluids, Drop In OEM Replacement Air Filter, Rear OR Front Sway Bar.

I won't be competing or taking part in the Autocross, I do plenty of that over the summer and there's a bunch of other things that I want to see about doing on Saturday.

Have a blast! Autocrossing is stupendously fun and doing it long enough can really give you some great skills that can translate over to track days more than most might otherwise think.

3. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I am very familiar with SCCA rules, so no questions there. Just curious what rule set we will be using at this event.

Jason

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The East Tennessee Region SCCA are the folks that are running this. I'm going to assume the classes are the same as they usually run.

Their site can be found at ETRSCCA

5. Nelzie

Nelzie New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Sorry... I should have added that it is safe to assume that they will be running the whole thing under a normal SCCA Format and the extra info that I was adding would be for those who are interested, but do not know much about Autocross racing.

6. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    So how was it?

7. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I'm still rather upset over this, but I don't direct this at the MINI club organizers as I'm told the decision came from the ETRSCCA guys:

On Thursday evening the event was canceled due to rain that was predicted for Saturday, even though this was a "rain or shine" event.

Weather on Saturday (at Fontana at least) was occasional rain showers early Saturday with a steady rain late in the afternoon. Nothing severe, would've been great conditions to truly probe the wet limits of our cars much more safely than on the roads.

I sure hope we can give this another chance next year.

Jason

8. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    that explains why I haven't been hearing anything about it..

9. grey poupon

grey poupon New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Video Producer/Detail Productions
    Rochester, NY
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My understanding was that the decision to cancel was made due to flood warnings in effect.

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    From what I understand there was a flood watch, but not a flood warning. I don't understand the cancellation, but heck there so many things I don't understand. :crazy:

11. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Having been an SCCA Solo II chairman for 15 years or so, I can tell you autocrossing in the rain is a blast. It is a pain for the hosting club, but that's where some of the money goes to. So they make out somewhat. Hopefully next year they'll have that again.
    I don't think I'll waste my time on the car show again unless they really get their act together. Even in the rain the show was a disappointment. Nothing to do with the quality of the cars mind you. They were great. Next year, this MINI owner wants to chase some cones!

12. jasonsmf

jasonsmf Active Member

Jun 12, 2009
    engineer
    Elyria, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that's the case; with the event being canceled two days in advance, as far as I could tell there weren't any flood warnings in effect at that time.

Jason

13. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    After talking to the local hosting chapter of the SCCA. It appears that they were leery of the weather and also had issues with getting enough members to attend and work the course and set it up.

I was not privy to call that made when the event was cancelled. If I was I would have made a strong argument to keep it on.

Nobody was more upset about the cancellation than me (the poor slub that had to come home and manually refund 44 people). I am leary about attempting this next year, unless they can guarantee it will be a rain or shine event.

14. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Locally if it is not lightening, it is run rain or shine. And yes it is loads of fun to do it in the rain!!!!!