Most liked posts in thread: AutoEnginuity Scan Tool

1. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    Wow very cool! So this allows you to open up the ABS valves to fully bleed the brake system?

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep. You start the "ABS Air Bleed" function in the Scan Tool - it prompts you to connect a power bleeder (like Motive), you click "next", then prompts you to open one bleeder screw, you click "next", then it goes through about a minute of automatically opening and closing the various ABS valves and tells you when it's done. Then you close the bleeder and repeat for the other three... easy.

3. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Neat! Thanks for sharing. And just to be sure--the ABS bleed function is not available for the Scangauge, right?

4. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That is cool, and no, the scanaguage can't do the ABS bleed as far as I know (unless there's some very cool X-gauge programing that would do that but it's unlikely).

Can this also do some of the factory setting changes like the dealer can do?

5. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    1) No, the scangauge does NOT do ABS bleed, nor about 90% of the other stuff the AutoEnginuity does. The scangauge is a very basic code reader and value display ("gauge") for standard OBD values - but it can't access a large number of BMW-specific values nor actuate the test modes for many of the car's systems (unless, as was said, someone has some X-gauge voodoo that I haven't seen yet - and I've looked).

2) AutoEnginuity doesn't do ECU coding - that's about the only thing I've found that the dealer tools can do that this one doesn't... so you're still beholden to the dealer for that stuff. But I haven't needed a coding change in two and a half years...

6. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    OK, thanks!

7. paulgraz

paulgraz New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    IT Manager
    Howell, NJ
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for posting this! I have a SG-II and I'm still thinking about buying this. Wiht the new trend towards small netbooks, along with something like this - and you've got a nice compact yet full featured diag tool...

8. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    exactly. My kids both have Acer Aspire One netbooks. I have a very small notebook for work that I'm about to swap for a small Thinkpad tablet that I'll run the Scan Tool on. I have it with me almost all the time, anyway.

9. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I just ordered this for myself since I do all the work on my car myself.