1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Automatic Transmission Problem

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by GeorgeCo, Jun 5, 2011.

1. eyeckr

eyeckr New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    DIY Valve Body Swap

I had the same problems in my '06 Mini Cooper S convertible as in the first post. My issues came up after driving the car for a while and getting up to running temperature. The transmission would slip between 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. I tried 5 fluid changes which seemed to help very little. I finally came upon a post where someone changed out their valve body which fixed the problem. I did the same and wrote up a DIY pictorial which I hope helps others in this situation. I'm not sure if I can post a link to another site here but if you google search

Aisin 6 Speed AUTOMATIC, failed at 80K?

you'll find my write up starting at post #223. Good luck to others that have tried the transmission fluid change that didn't help and need to try a valve body swap.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, we are not so full of ourselves here on M/A that we don't share.

But I might add that this would also be a good item for the library here on M/A too.

3. eyeckr

eyeckr New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Awesome, thanks for linking. I was just beside myself thinking I would have to have a new/rebuilt transmission put in. After I changed my valve body my transmission is doing great and shifting well. It cost me right under $1000.00 in materials to do the swap but way better than $6000+ to get a new tranny put in. It makes me wonder how many whole transmissions have been replaced when only the valve body needed to be swapped out.

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Really good info about the valve body swap. :Thumbsup:

5. Deech21

Deech21 New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Retail Sales
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    i'm having similar issues with my R53. I did purchase an extended warranty through Fidelity Warranty Services (gold).
    My MINI (Charlotte) seems to be okay when its a cold start then when the fluid warms up it seems to race a little switching from 3rd to 4th.
    If it does need a new tranny what is the consensus that the warranty would cover such service?

6. eyeckr

eyeckr New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    #26 eyeckr, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    If you are having slight flaring/racing when warmed up you might be able to fix that with just a transmission fluid change. If it gets any worse or doesn't get any better with 2-3 partial fluid changes you will want to look into changing your valve body.

I doubt that you need a whole new tranny but I bet the Mini dealership will say you do. Usually if there is any issue at all with the transmission they go the replacement route versus the repair route. My local dealership wanted to change my whole transmission when I pretty much knew I only needed a valve body. They would not do a fluid change nor would they change my valve body even though I was trying to pay them to do it.

I'm sorry but I am not sure about the Fidelity Warranty Service coverage.

7. Deech21

Deech21 New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Retail Sales
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    eyeckr,

Thanks for the input. I would do the fluid change myself but I live in a condo and there isn't anywhere to do it.
    I'm planning on taking it in next week to have it looked at. We'll see what happens with the warranty I guess. It's been pretty good so far. Covered a crank seal leak as well as a oil pan gasket. It's pretty good coverage, I was just wondering what all of you on here thought about it.

8. eyeckr

eyeckr New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Deech21 sounds like you have a good warranty coverage. I hope it all works out for you. If not maybe you can ask a buddy if you can borrow their garage or driveway for a day to do your fluid change or valve body swap.

9. Deech21

Deech21 New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Retail Sales
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Eyeckr, I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully everything's cool.

10. Deech21

Deech21 New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Retail Sales
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE. Finally got a chance to get an appt. at my local MINI dealer (Morristown MINI). The service advisor was very helpful and is actually willing to do a trans flush for me. Since this is a thing that I know people have issues getting the dealer to do I just wanted to share my experience and maybe it will help other people out with the same issue.

Anyway, he said we will do the flush and then go from there hoping my warranty will cover the costs.

11. eyeckr

eyeckr New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That's great. I hope your issues clear up with the flush. Let us know how it goes after your appointment.

12. txhokie4life

txhokie4life New Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are 07's susceptible to the valve body issues as well?

my research suggests they moved to the getrag's in '07.

looking at an 07S that won't shift into 5th or 6th (no further details)

Mike

13. eyeckr

eyeckr New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi Mike,

I wish I could give you a definite answer but I'm not too familiar with the 07 + years and if they used the same transmission. The one thing that seems different with the Mini you are looking at is that "it won't go into 5th or 6th gear".

With my valve body problem it wasn't that it wouldn't go into those gears but it would start slipping and slamming into them when the fluid and valve body got up to operating temperature. If you can test drive it and it drives fine for the first 20 minutes or so then starts slipping and slamming into 3rd, 4th and above gears then it is likely just a valve body issue. If it won't go into 5th or 6th gear at all from the get go it may likely be something other than just the valve body.

14. bowied

bowied New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello! Anyone still here? I am having the same problem with my 2006 S convertible. Once I get over a certain speed (maybe 50) or try to drive uphill, the car shudders and roars, shifting harshly. It's scary.

I took it to my mechanic who found the error code 5E15. Took it to the dealership. They told me I needed new transmission and + labor costs it would be around $8k. I laughed and then went into shock.

I am desperate. I'm going to call mechanics/local minishops inquiring about buying a used transmission, but is there any possible answer other than what the dealership is telling me? I am broke. The car only has about 45k miles on it.

I have no idea what to do. If anyone has any suggestions about the issue or where to go from here, please tell! Thank you!

15. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Sorry you're having problems.

First: 5E15 is an ABS Module code error, not a transmission error code. So I'm not sure what's going on with your car exactly. Where are you located? We may be able to point you to someone who can help diagnose precisely what's going on.

If you put the shifter in sport mode and shift it manually, using the paddles, watch the gears indicator and see what happens. Does it behave "fine" in some gears, and only misbehave in a certain gear or gears?

16. Fun Size

Fun Size New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Rock Hill, SC
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks so much for this thread. I started having transmission troubles Friday, found this thread, got a flush/adaptations done on Monday ($160 at my dealer), now the car is fine. And now seriously considering switching it to a manual before it dies.

17. miniblue

miniblue New Member

Nov 10, 2013
    Dry Ice
    SW OHIO
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    What do you all mean by ADAPTATIONS?? I know that as how the car learns your driving habits and killing the batty to the computer for a bit resets it, is that what you mean?

18. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Some of the various computers that run the car's systems "adapt" their performance to a combination of driving conditions, and other factors (e.g. fuel, performance of car sub-systems themselves, etc.). In the case of the auto transmission, adaptations can adjust shifting performance to accommodate wear, degradation of fluid performance, driving conditions, etc.

When you make significant mechanical or service changes to the vehicle, it's a good idea to reset relevant (but not ALL) adaptations so the appropriate computers will re-establish an appropriate baseline sooner, rather than later.

Disconnecting the battery is not necessarily a reliable method for clearing adaptations. The dealer scan tool, and other professional scan tools like AutoEnginuity can do this reliably.

19. Tiffkat

Tiffkat New Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Now I know this is proberbly the wrong place but here goes.

I have a mini one 05 automatic no mods but even after fluid change still having problems. Should I go for a valve bOdy change?

20. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0