2nd Gen Paceman Automobile Magazine Drive a Pre-production Paceman

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Nathan, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Just how much Mini do you need? These days, there are so many choices that you can almost buy a Mini on a custom-tailored basis, selecting from the original hatchback, the Clubman wagon, the convertible, the coupe, the roadster, and the five-door Countryman crossover. Beginning next May, Mini will add a large three-door hatchback to the mix, the Paceman, which was previewed as a concept at the 2011 Detroit auto show and is, in effect, a smaller and more stylish Countryman.

Happily, there's more to the Paceman than the mere deletion of a couple of doors. The need to redesign most of the Countryman's side panels for the three-door allowed Mini designers to give the Paceman a unique look. This is a much sportier-looking bigger Mini, almost coupe-like in silhouette with its sinking roofline, more steeply raked tailgate, muscled rear fenders, and shapely new wraparound tail lamps. The result looks surprisingly similar to a three-door Range Rover Evoque and certainly isn't short on appeal...

Read more: First Drive: 2013 Mini Paceman Cooper S All4 Prototype - Automobile Magazine

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Not a fan of the way the plastic trim cuts around the side doors. The black on the rear bumper is a little much......:(

3. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Hope they improved the clutch...:rolleyes:

And unfortunately, if I had a hole in my life the size and shape of a WRX, I'd likely buy (ahem) a WRX! Sorry Mini! Really happy with my R53 though, never give it up.