Interior 1st Gen Aux Radio Plug Install - Trim Removal?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by MiniFrog, Nov 19, 2013.

1. MiniFrog

MiniFrog New Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Health Care
    Willimantic, CT
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I purchased a BMW aux cable to hook to my radio so I can plug in my iPod.

BMW Genuine Auxiliary Audio Input Cable Adapter for E39 5 Series (09/2002 and on), X5 (10/2002 and on), All X3 : Amazon.com : Automotive

The Beemer one was a lot cheaper (half) and is the same.:wink:

Quote:

I can confirm a previous reviewer's note: this product, although made for BMW, works just fine with my wife's 2006 MINI Cooper S.

Installation was a snap. You don't have to remove the head unit to plug in the cable. Just fold down the knee panel in front of the driver's seat and look for an opening along the back of the radio. there is a fairly large space where you can stick your finger in and touch the empty square-shaped socket where the plug snaps in. Be aware, those models with navigation system will have this socket already occupied. In that case this cable won't work. Otherwise, just snap in the plug.

Other info says it's very difficult to pull down the "knee bolster" trim below the steering wheel to install this. I've tried and it feels like something is going to break when I pull on it.
    Any thoughts or tips on how to get the trim piece off?

TIA,

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Pull it really hard from the top and it will pop open and feel like you broke it but you wont brake it.

After I doing it a few times you will get the hang of it.

3. MiniFrog

MiniFrog New Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Health Care
    Willimantic, CT
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Dave, I put the tilt wheel all the way up and pulled from the gap where the radius is under the column. Am I going about this correctly?

4. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    There is nothing magical about it. Maybe you're pulling at the wrong angle. The end corners have posts that insert into spring loaded retaining clips, and you have to pull hard enough to make them release.

[​IMG]

5. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    That is how I did it. I had a little hesitation at first out of fear of breaking it but finally just pulled as hard as I could and it finally came loose. It's held in there pretty good.

6. MiniFrog

MiniFrog New Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Health Care
    Willimantic, CT
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies, it makes me a lot more confident I won't break something.
    rkw, that diagram is great!

I suppose I should get a manual of some kind. Are the Chiltons or Haynes softcover books available and worth it? Anything better out there for the home mechanic?

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Bentley is the best for a MINI. Not the cheapest but the best!

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup just pull on it like a mad man and it will open. Its hinged from the bottom. :Thumbsup:

The first time I pulled it down I was a little worried also but now its no big deal.

Oh and like others have said the Bentley may cost $$ but its the BEST for everything.