Exterior 1st Gen Most liked posts in thread: Axiom: Mods beget Mods - More Proof - or - How I cleaned up some rust

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Well it could be worse. I had a Alfa spider once. I was at a stop light and the guy in a truck next to me looked at me horrified. Next he floors the truck and runs the red light. I thought he had lost his mind till I looked in the mirror. The back of my car was on fire. He may have thought I was chasing him because I ran the next three lights to get to a fire extinguisher.:mad5:

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    A modder's job is never done.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Nice Job Nathan. You have a good fabricator & friend there. :Thumbsup:

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Good job. The louvers look great have you had any other trouble due to the louvers? I live in the south and would love to get rid of more hot air under my hood.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Trouble..heh

The biggest and most annoying issue is that people can't keep their hands off. The louvers were cut from a TR-7 and welded in. People love to run their finger over the weld to see if they can feel it. Being my car lives outside and is often dirty they are just grinding dirt into the paint..arghh. Plus it leaves fingerprints and a trail.

There is some rust starting where they were welded. While I thought we sealed that area well, I can see now we did not. That is to be addressed when I do an exterior refresh.

Due to the location of the lovers there is no longer any washer jets. I can't easily clean the windscreen. Service techs love to go in and fill the washer bottles too. Added dead weight. The exterior refresh is going to address this too by removing the washer bottles.

This last item is very unique to me. I had an ECU full of water. This was a real comedy of errors. The louvers are right over the CAI. At one point I had the 1st Generation Craven Speed CAI where the lid was not held in place well. At the track one day it slid onto the header. Made for some nice free form plastic art. Anyway, then I bricked the ECU when I first loaded the FA Software as the battery was not connected to an external power source and was old. The new ECU I was sent has been opened at some point and not sealed well. Combine all that with incredibly wet spring and the car being outdoors after the move to Ohio from TX. I think a small fish jumped out when I opened the ECU. That was a very odd confluence of issues that combined to make a real fun one.

Only other thing is now that the car lives outside and I don't have easy access to wash by hand I go through a touchless wash now and then. Upon leaving there wash bay steam escapes from the louvers. People have a habit of pointing and yelling out the window that the car looks like it is about to overheat.