1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: B + cable terminal

1. Razone23

Razone23 Active Member

Nov 3, 2013
    technical support
    nothern CT
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0

Apparently they said it was a separate incident that didn't have to do with the recall. That was a bit weird. When I read the letter it outline eliminating those lights. So I thought crap that's why I was there for. but it turned out some other issue ?. A piece of black electrical tape over the light and problem solved. But it's gonna bother me, it's like have a dead bug on your windshield,or a piece of popcorn stuck in your teeth. Until it's gone I won't rest.

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    That price seems ridiculously high...

Ask them what's all entailed with that repair. And yeah, get the part numbers...
    On the surface it seems like it would be an easy DIY job for you to handle...

Oh.... And what bothers me worse is bird carp on my paint... That get my immediate attention... Nature's most powerful paint remover right there...

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, you need to confirm what wire they're talking about.

Real OEM Battery cables

I suspect what they're talking about is the firing cable for the battery disconnect. If the original cable has gotten cut or broken somewhere in the car, there's a replacement cable available, #8 in the diagram at the link above. Though it's different than the picture, the firing cable is part of the body harness and plugs in inside the battery box, it's not part of the main battery cable as shown.

Or they may be talking about the actual main battery cable, #1 in the diagram.

If it's the #8 cable, this is routed internally from the battery box, around the interior of the car with the body harness, and eventually back to the airbag module near the hand brake (I think). The bulk of the labor is removing and refitting almost all of the interior of the car. Not technically hard work, but it's work. I've never actually replaced one, so I don't know what work is required at the ABG computer end, whether it's pulling and pushing pins from the connector, or what.

If it's the #1 cable, that routes under the car. The work is in dropping the exhaust and heat shields, and re-installing. I doubt that's the one, because it should be a lot less labor than the price they quoted.

In either case, once the fault is corrected, the airbag light will need to be reset using either the factory scan tool, or another tool with BMW/MINI extensions. Lots of folks have that.

4. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Figures bmw would call it something else.
    Any other car its the alternator back to the battery cable.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Ask the dealership for the part number and also has why it's not included in the recal.

6. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    B+ goes from the alternator to the starter. its included in a full engine harness and its likely 400 in parts and 600 in labor at dealer rates sounds about correct.

7. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Colin, look at the RealOEM diagram, and read the thread. It's not what you're thinking.