B-Spec Racing - Sneed Speed at Circuit of the Americas

Discussion in 'B-Spec MINI' started by Nathan, May 16, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Chris at Sneed Speed has been kind enough to send me updates from their B-Spec Racing adventures.

This is first in what hopefully is a series.

COTA Day 2 - Chris Sneed

Day 2 of COTA World Challenge race. I’m starting on day 2 because day 1 was riding and sleeping in a truck, that it. No break downs and no problems :smile5:

We arrive at the COTA about 1.30pm and wait in line to get in the paddock. The paddock is already full of GT and GTS crews with their 18 wheelers and multiple cars. Everyone is very nice and we get a paddock spot right in the middle, we should be easy to find for fans and customers. After getting our spot lined out and dropping the trailer we take off for the hotel. It’s a nice place with a 2 room suite by the pool. We get cleaned up and then head for supper. Peter, a customer and friend had recommended Toasty’s Tacos for supper. I google it, and it’s only about a mile away. Johan text that he had landed and is getting his rental car, I tell him to meet us a Toasty’s.

Toasty’s is awesome! Great tacos but no beer :nonod:. As we enter the restaurant, we see what looks like a B-spec Mazda 2 in the parking lot. When we go in a girl looks right at my shirt and passes by. I didn’t think much of it because that happens a lot with the Sneed’s Speed Shop shirt. But when I go back in to get my food she is looking at me again. I go over and ask if that’s her car. She says yes, and she already knew about me. I think, well damn, I’m famous… and then she says I googled you just now. I try to hold back my disappointment by asking her about the car and if it is a B spec. She says it is and she is racing at COTA with WC this weekend. I say, us too and told her about our MINI. She’s driven a lot of cars including World Rally and Pikes Peak. I tell her we were looking forward to the race and come by our trailer if she needs anything.

Back to the tacos, they are awesome!

While we are sitting outside B spec girl comes out and meets a guy at her car. We can over hear them talking about racing and COTA. When the guy walks by I ask him if he’s racing there. He says no, that he isn’t racing but is here following the Red Bull V8 Supercar team from Australia. He’s from Australia too and flew here to take pictures and report the race. He decides to get a taco, after we use some pier pressure on him. I can tell he’s worried about the spicy food, Aussie food is not very spicy but he did it anyway. He reports, they are awesome!

After supper we head down town to check out the local scene. It’s happening with tons of bars and young people. We get a beer and sit down, about the time Johan calls. He is lost, so I guide him in to the bar and we get him a taco from the taco truck across the street. Food trucks and trailers are everywhere here and most are very good. We hang out and discuss strategy for practice tomorrow and then head back to the hotel.

Check back tomorrow for an update on our first day on track!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Promo for the live streaming of the race.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAJ1JnFXJNE]PWC COTA Live Streaming Promo - YouTube[/ame]

3. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I read the V8 Supercars are using an abbreviated version of the track that skips turns 7-11. Wonder whether the Pirelli races are doing the same.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    All groups are using the short track this weekend.

[​IMG]

5. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I'm amazed, looks like there are 21 (!!) B-Spec cars running this weekend! That number includes 7 MINIs, some of which did very well in quali.

See the quali results at the bottom of the article here (B-Spec cars are TCB class).

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    It's really heartening to see the Spec B field growing. :Thumbsup:

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I'm here at CoTA too, we're planning to be at the track tomorrow for the 8 am race! Good luck guys!