Bad apples?

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 8 (April 28 - May 2, 2010)' started by loud9266, Nov 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. loud9266

loud9266 New Member

May 21, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i just read this on another site.
    i hope this was just some waitress venting.
    id hate to think when pulling in to Fontana village
    next year the locals arent cursing us under their breath.

"While in NC last week at the Dragon, I had the chance to talk to an unnamed server at an unnamed restaurant in an unnamed nearby town. I promised anonymity to the whistle blower. I'm sad to say that the frank opinions expressed regarding "MINI people" was less than flattering. "MINI people" were characterized as "snobs" and "better than everyone else." A special dislike of those who ridicule and otherwise make fun of Southern speech habits was noted. As well it was noted that "Florida people are the worst." The person I spoke with said that this attitude toward "MINI people" was commonly shared among the locals. It sounded to me like there's more to this than just a couple of bad apples behaving badly. "

its something to think about :nonod:

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    No matter what you do or what you say someone is going to be offended. I'd image there are a few people that attend MOTD that think they are "better" in some way because they live in a city, or drive a MINI or just because they are so insecure in themselves that others need to be ridiculed.

It's a shame the poor actions of a few are remembered long after the positive actions of the many.

That same waitress remembers something she overheard long after forgetting that the vase majority of others there for the same event tipped well and were polite.

3. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    sorry to hear that, but I know I have been in touch just recently with the head of the Graham County Chamber of Commerce and several Robbinsville and Bryson City restaurant owners and not a single one had anything negative to say about our group. But with a group our size, your bound to have someone offend someone. Doubt if you can take 600 people from any time of group and not experience the same.

4. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    I can only speak for myself, but I've been involved with cars and car groups for over 30 years. Between my associations with Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, Jeep and Truck groups along with several various sports car clubs, I can tell you one thing for sure. That is, 99% of all the MINI people I've run across are super people. There are VERY few car groups that are as friendly and mature acting as we are. I think it's just one person's opinion. Unfortunately, she can spread he opinions far and wide and somewhere, there will be a willing, open ear.

All we can do is try to dispel her incorrect opinion of us. And I think most of us do!

5. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Agree, one of the best things about owning a Mini has been the great people I've met and the vast majority are friendly inclusive souls evident by the diversity of the Mini's they drive!!

6. loud9266

loud9266 New Member

May 21, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i have to agree.
    since ive been hangin with the mini crowd ive meet some of the best people.
    and if they would except me with open arms they would except anyone :D
    i was quite surprised to see this
    thats why i figured id share.

cheers Lou

7. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I went through the Dragon in August on my way to Ft. Jackson and stopped at The Filling Station in Bryson City for lunch. I mentioned the first time I'd come there was during MOTD to the lady behind the counter and she seemed to have a positive opinion. I'm sure that's helped by once a year having a line out the door of hungry MINI owners but hopefully most of us can leave enough of a good impression on most of the locals that a few bad apples that bother a few locals can be overcome.

8. BLUCOOPR

BLUCOOPR New Member

May 21, 2009
    Retired Truck Driver
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Mountain people are a strange breed, I know I married one from Topton just outside of Robbinsville. They tend to live in their own little world and if something is said about them, their religion or way of life, they do tend to get ruffled. They don't talk about anyone else or their way of life and when around them you shouldn't express your opinions. Enjoy the mountains and its people and remember you ain't going to change them by what you say; but they can raise the price of fare! MINI people whom I have met from Coast to coast are the greatest car club bunch I have ever associated with. I have also seen some get out of hand at different events, so it does happen and if you see someone out of line, remind them they are tourist (Guest) of the locals.

9. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Sadly the offending folks are probably not reading this. Same folks that drift over the yellow lines, etc.

Even a55holes drive MINI's

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    One thing about MOTD is the size of the draw - it's the biggest car event in that area all year. And it draws more folks from more distant areas.

I personally have met some folks there who are urbanites who had never been anywhere like Robbinsville, NC before in their lives. And had not a clue how to act in such a place. And not a clue what to expect of people who live there instead of, say, Miami or NYC...

Agreed - those people are in the vast minority - but only takes one or two out of several hundred to leave a bad impression...

11. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    I'm not surprised..... like you all have said, not everyone is going to behave in a group that big... there will always be a couple tools :prrr:

I also agree, that out of all the clubs I have been involved in, my local MINI group AND the people online (minus NAMers) are by far some of the nicest people I have ever met! Everyone has been so diverse and accepting! It's wonderful and makes me proud to own and drive a MINI.

Hopefully this coming year at MOTD we will all show everyone how awesome and thoughtful us MINIacs are :cornut:

12. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Most of us were NAMers once, don't give up hope that others may too soon see the light.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    As much as that site has been down as of late all they are seeing is darkness.

14. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Yup, it's broke right now. Again.

Mark

15. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Hee hee hee

Can't say I feel bad :D

16. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    KittyMINI I could tell you your latest mod sucks and that my modder is much better than yours if it would make you feel any better :cornut:

17. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Everyone knows _______ is full of himself with all the fanbois and only ______ really knows what he's doing and makes the best _____ for our cars.

18. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps we can offer this as a template for all new posts for Internet Brands?

19. Mind The Gap

Mind The Gap New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Give me a break

"...an unnamed server at an unnamed restaurant in an unnamed nearby town."

What a cowardly statement. Anybody can claim anything under the guise of confidentiality. Name names or keep it to yourself.

And "whistle blower"?! implies exposing of a terrible wrong. Give me a break, put it in perspective.

And why must we feel so PC (politically correct) that we have to not only live in constant fear of inadvertently offending someone but apologizing for them too? When you live in a tourist town, it goes with the territory. Deal with it.

20. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Why you are at it, ask me why I bought my MINI in the first place! :eek:ut:

LOL :D