BBC suspends Clarkson

Discussion in 'Top Gear' started by docv, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq1DZfUjvFo"]James May's Reaction To Jeremy Clarkson Being Sacked - 'Top Gear Presenters Come As Package' - YouTube[/ame]

2. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #102 Steve, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    I don't know. Harris likes cars and he likes attention and he likes money. It wouldn't surprise me if he could be flattered into doing it given a guarantee it would come with a changed formula / format as well. On the other hand, he's also smart and might not want to be known as the "traitor" who took Clarkson's job.....

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Today the BBC showed they are just as stupid as the twit Producer.

TG will be reformatted and soon will die a slow death. Without all three it's over.

4. AAONMS

AAONMS Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 16, 2011
    I play with trains...
    Fruit Cove, FL
    Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0
    ^ just to poke the bear here, the above could construed as condoning workplace violence.
    Physically assaulting a coworker should be an automatic 'do not pass Go; do not collect $200'. Like it or not; the actions of the participants really doesn't leave the BBC much wiggle room.

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    The BBC did what it had to do, there simply wasn't another option. The producer by all account is anything but a twit; he's well liked and respected by everything I've read. Again, Clarkson is not the victim here, and assaulting the victim (who was already physically assaulted) just isn't right.

Dave is right though about the future of Top Gear--it will die a not so slow death. May is almost definitely done, and Hammond probably is too. You can't just plug three people in and make it work--it took a bit of trial and error until they got the right people at the same time, and chemistry that went along with it, and that's not easily duplicated. And it was Clarkson that had the major input into revising the show; it was his baby. And that's why when May says it's a complicated relationship, I think he's referring to that--it would really, really be a crappy thing to do for both him and Hammond to stay on in that situation, given that Clarkson really got the show off the ground yet shared the stage completely with the other two. It would be the ultimate ingratitude.

I think it's more likely the three reunite on ITV or some other medium, and hopefully a lesson was learned. Top Gear will most likely die a slow death.

6. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    It's so interesting that people here can place any blame on the producer whatsoever. Clarkson thru a fit because he couldn't get a hot meal. Is he 5 years old or an adult, because 54 year old men shouldn't behave this way. Clarkson is a arrogant, self centered piece of carp. Don't get me wrong, I like this guy! He's talented, funny, sometimes charming and loved by millions. There in lies the problem. He has bought into the fact that his celebrity status has given him the right to act up, behave poorly and throw tantrums.

Clarkson, May and Hammond were a great team and made the show what it is. But it was also well produced. BBC put together an incredible team of the best producers, writers and editors, etc., to make these guys look good every week. Tymon was one these. He was a well respected BBC producers, not a lowly production assistant or Jeremy's personal whipping boy. What Clarkson did was wrong and he's suffering the consequences. Unfortunately, he may have sealed the deal for his co-hosts and the entire staff of TG. No doubt he'll land on his feet, doing what he does best, making a ton more money for some else. I'll certainly miss watching TG in its current configuration.

I spent 12 years as an agency producer and 7 years at a little company Universal Studios. I got to work with all kinds of '"celebrity types" and so called "movie stars"
    on a regular basis. Most were easy to get along with, some a bit more of a challenge and others a total pain in the arse. At the end of the day, regardless of how difficult it was, we could shake hands and have a mutual respect for each other. That's what it's all about.

7. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I agree that Clarkson was 100% in the wrong here. We all know he's an ape, but we like him anyway. Just getting that out of the way.

Now, regarding the future of Top Gear - Does Clarkson own The Stig, or at least the name? He's credited for coming up with the idea along with producer Andy Williams, and they chose the name from some kind of weird tradition Clarkson's boarding school had of calling freshmen Stig.

It would be weird to see TG without a Stig.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Regardless of who came up with the Stig, it was during the production of the show so the BBC would own it/him/her/them.........

They were the ones who sued the previous Stig over the book deal.

9. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
  10. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but it wasn't all that popular until they got the three musketeers in there. They took a two year hiatus to rework the show....

I don't see it being nearly as popular without them, and I think it will struggle to remain relevant.

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The first Stig I was aware of was Stig Blomquist. Quite the rally driver & for a while I thought that was who Stig was. He is still my favorite Stig.

[​IMG]

Back on topic Clarkson was stupid..... :eek:ut:

12. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    well chaps we can always go back to this boring format! OMG I'd rather watch grass grow.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooI-EQIDouA"]Top Gear, 1983 (Series 11, Episode 2) - YouTube[/ame]

13. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
  14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Toyota's small tribute

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1WMdI3E9jQ"]Jeremy's best bits... - YouTube[/ame]

15. Ronbo

Ronbo New Member

Feb 10, 2013
    New Albany, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    It's hard to apologize, once lawyers get involved....

16. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLRna0RRvxo"]The Last Ever Top Gear - YouTube[/ame]

17. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    https://youtu.be/qzzXk8npBqs

18. caseydog

caseydog Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Automotive Photographer
    Dallas
    Ratings:
    +1,059 / 1 / -0
    I was a huge Top Gear fan, for many years. The last few seasons haven't been as good, IMO. Jeremy Clarkson is a significant reason for that decline, IMO.

I would love to see Richard and James revive the show. Their stuff is still good, and an funny. Jeremy has become a bitter old man -- and he's the same age as me. He seems at least ten years older. He even looks ten years older. Jeremy ******* and moans chronically.

If I were having a party at my house, I'd invite Richard and James. I just can't help but think that Jeremy would be a buzz kill. He'd probably go on-and-on about what's wrong with the party, and all the people at it.

I don't feel one bit sorry for Jeremy Clarkson. I just hate it that Richard and James got caught up in Jeremy's meltdown.

CD

19. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    from all the buzz I'm sure those 3 motoring clowns will be snapped up by another net work. BBC make about 70million pounds a year with the show, magazine, live shows and advertising.

20. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Here is the thing everyone forgets, James and Richard are standing behind him and will not do TG without him. It's all three or nothing.

That's what a true friend does. They will be picked up again and do another show together and maybe get a real producer that knows how to take care of the talent.