2nd Gen E Most liked posts in thread: Behind the Wheel | Mini E Gas-Pump Freedom (Restrictions Apply)

1. VioletDC

VioletDC Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Copyeditor
    Leesburg, VA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Very interesting article on the MINI E, Nathan. That last paragraph really jumped out at me, re: apartment dwellers (me!) and the fact that electronic hubs/outlets are nonexistent 4 the most part. I never knew the Volt could switch to gas once the battery died! Y didn't MINI think of that??? :confused:

Also makes me feel sorry 4 the MINI E owners' inability to participate in long runs (MOTD, 4 example) or other enthusiast activities 4 fear of running out of juice at an inopportune time.
    :(

2. Tom2112

Tom2112 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Stig Substitute
    Sharon, PA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes, aside from the manufacturer's unenthusiastic support of electric vehicles, the biggest nail in e-vehicle's coffin is the lack of infrastructure to support it.

Apartment dwellers are pretty much eliminated. Inner city dwellers that park on the street are pretty much eliminated. And even suburbia has it's problems. How many people have a 220v/30amp circuit running to their garage? At least the suburbanites can pay and have one installed, but that is another hidden cost.

Stack on top of that the added load on the local (neighborhood) circuit. If several e-vehicles charge all night, the could overload the local capacity to supply enough amperage and cause brown outs. Fortunately, it would take a bunch of vehicles to do it, and at this point it is unlikely to happen because not many people have them. But fast forward a few years, and we could have a lot of problems if the infrastructure doesn't adapt.

I like the idea of e-vehicles, but it's time is not as near as everyone seems to think.

3. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0