2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Best/most useful scan tools?

1. cristo

cristo Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    physician
    York, Pa
    Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -1
    My Schwaben (Foxwell NT510 for BMW/MINI/Rolls) has done well with my former R50 and current R55,
    but my wife just got a 2020 BMW M240i convertible and it's not compatible with that (despite the latest
    BMW update from a few weeks ago). Foxwelltech customer support says it isn't and won't be compatible
    with new F-chassis BMWs. They also said the NT530 currently isn't compatible with that car either.

So, ... after a lot of research, I ordered a Launch x431 ProS Mini that should work well on both cars and
    a bunch more.

Please don't tell me you had one and that I've made a terrible mistake.

I'll report back a few weeks after I get it.

Other scanners in the running were the Autel MK808 or MX808 or DS808, Carly, Innova 5610, Actron CP9695, Autophix 7810, and the Launch CRP429C.

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Snagged this over at M/U......

Combines several tools in one, including clearing CEL's and adaptations.... When its finally available for the R56 that is....

[ame=http://www.motoringunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20636]Bytetronik Full Access R56 Tuning Software - motoring|underground[/ame]

3. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
  4. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I was hoping he might chime in, my question was inspired by another thread where he posted a few opinions. Thought I'd start a new one instead of thread-jacking the other...

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    If I might be able to add to your thread...... Do any of them remove the ECU adaptations?:D

6. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    That's a good point - is it possible to make minor changes/modifications to the ECU with these tools? I know it's possible to clear codes, but that would seem like a different type of change...

7. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi all

For clearing adaptations, The AutoEnginuity with BMW extensions ($500 or so) does the trick. So does the BavTech softare on my site ($270 for Enthusiast version)... Both do logging and the like..

The hand held ones like the Innova scanners I sell on my blog site (Dr Obnxs' Musings) are very good, universal units, but are only for code clearing. I think Innova has one that does airbag codes as well. If someone wants that, I can add it to the Amazon store at my blog and I get a massive 4% of the sales price! I have had an Innova scanner for years, it's one of the standard tools in my bag of tricks. I recently upgraded the basic one that I've used forever, cause my wife's car is CAN based and more and more cars that I deal with are. So I'm upgrading (and yes, I bought it from my own Amazon store for that massive 4% kickback!) BTW, I put them up there cause the places that sell MINI parts that stock them seem to be much, much more expensive.

I'm also getting a copy of the Mynes ByteTronic tuning software to work with. It will probably show up on the FES Auto Power Parts page... Anyway, I don't know everything that it does, but it's good to know that us modders will finally have a way to tune our own cars! Yee-Hah!

Matt

8. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:Ah the Good Dr. Glad to hear about that Massive financial gain. I remember you mentioning once that the pay check that you got from a certain magazine could be cashed in a Coke Machine.:lol: Ah well, life goes on,yes?:cornut:
    Jason
    De Oppresso Libre

9. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I think I need a quick explanation of what you mean when you say 'adaptations' and why you would want to clear them...

I'm mostly interested in this topic because I'm planning on installing the WMW turbo-back exhaust and I'm expecting to need to clear o2 sensor codes from time to time.

Is there a tool that can adjust the o2 sensor tolerance so it won't throw the code? Or does that fall into the realm of 'tuning' and therefore requires more sophisticated software?

10. Person Moved On

Person Moved On New Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Griffin Technology is coming out with an OBD-II unit that will connect with your smartphone (iPhone and Android). They expect it in the first quarter of this year.
    Griffin Technology: CarTrip - OBD-II Hardware Interface

There stuff is usually pretty good, I'm looking forward to this one.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I've signed up for the notification of when this has been released. We intend on doing a full review on Gearhead Apps.

For the past 4 years I've been using a tool by Altera on a palm based device. I no longer use the device as a phone but still have it all wired up for code reading and clearing.

The Bytetronic software will clear the codes and adaptations for the R53, the only issue is that one needs to hook it to a Windows based laptop to do so. Now if there was a iPad version...woot. The same with the BavTech stuff Doc O has, a laptop is needed.

12. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    About to purchase a system myself but would wait if there is one I could use on the android, just for not having to carry so much around. I look enough like the Beverly Hillbillies when i go to the track as is.... Otherwise I think I'll be getting Dr O's BavTech....

So please let us know when you have more info Nathan.

13. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I needed a scan tool at a BMWCCA event last fall. So there I am, walking up and down the paddock, he's got an E30, he's got an E30, he's got a 2002, he's got an engine swap E36... no scan tools. Ridiculous. I bought mine from DrO the next week.

14. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I use the Rev App on the iPhone with a Kiwi wifi OBD2 dongle. It is good for data collection, gauges, reading and clearing codes.

It seems to be quite useful.

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  16. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Cool but from the site, the scan gauge looks pretty basic with no mention of advanced reading of BMW type codes, nor does it mention the ability to erase adaptations??? Did I miss it?

17. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #16 Nitrominis, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  18. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'm not an iPhone user. If anyone has any input about Torque or OBDroid for Android, I'd be interested, though.

Are there any other software solutions besides the Bavarian Technic? Maybe a little less expensive?

19. Kellen@Craven

Kellen@Craven New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Talking about Minis and stuff
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    You can use Torque on Android for free, and hook your phone up to the OBDII by Bluetooth with this;

Bluetooth OBDII Connector - CravenSpeed Online

20. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I think I'm going to try this out since it's so inexpensive, I can afford to get a better tool later if I need to. I'll try to come back and share my notes after I've used it for awhile. Too bad the bluetooth option doesn't work with the iPhone...