2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Bi Hex Spark Plug Socket for R56

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by TGS91, Sep 15, 2010.

1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Hit 60K and manual says I'm due for a new set of plugs

Way gave me the heads up they came up with a special bi-hex spark plug that requires a 14mm bi-hex socket. The one that is in your socket set ain't gonna work.

And because Mini, Citroen and Peugeot are the only cars using this, maybe more?, they are charging a arm and a leg for it. First look was $40-$80 for a freakin' socket.

Best I could find 0890000004 Bi Hex Plug Socket - US Distributor of genuine BERU products - Kingsborne Wires Werks

PS-If you don't have one get a lengthy extension cause those bad boys are set kinda deep in the engine block

Got's to pay to play boys and girls :cryin:

2. cal330ci

cal330ci New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Automotive Technician
    Vancouver BC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe BMW 335s use the same socket. Mine is an AST and it was about $35cdn from Mac or Snap On.
    Pay to play is a good way of putting it.

3. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Any 12 point 14mm socket will work. I have a craftsman that works just fine. You will likely need a set of needle nose pliers to pull out the plug once is is loose. They do make some fancy spark plug specific sockets if you so desire. I already had the socket on hand, so I never really bothered with anything else.

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    You mean a deep well 12 pt socket, right?

You can make the socket grip the plug by putting a small piece of electrical tape in the socket, just start it on the inside and wrap it around to the outside on one edge - it makes it just tight enough to grip the plug and hold onto it as you withdraw the socket from the well.

If your socket's worn, you may need two peices - opposite each other.....

5. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yea, correct a deep well.