Most liked posts in thread: BIGGER is BETTER!!! A FAQ on the Bosch 550cc injectors for R53

1. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    #197 mike@MynesTuned, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
    Now if you want to see how a steady steam works against the fan, just turn your nozzle to "stream" and see how that atomizes.

Remember, intake port on the R53 head looks like this (notice the divider in the center):
    IMAG0135.jpg

So if you have a "Single Beam" injector, where will the beam hit? I'm guessing it's going to hit right on the divider; so Spray pattern does matter and should be matched to the application. For the R53, "dual-cone" appears to be ideal IMHO.

Atomization is just one of the factors (albeit one of the least important as the size of the injector goes bigger). Other critical factors are (just to name a few):
    - Spray angle
    - Spray type (single or Twin Beam)
    - Bent angle

[​IMG]

2. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Any quick search and consequent contacting of the DYNO manufactures can find some very relieving answers to many questions. The bottom line is "ANY" chassis Dyno is an excellent tool used for tuning!(not ECU tuners but actual professionals that adjust all aspects of a performance vehicle components/parts for maximum potential). All DYNO operators can set the perimeters needed for their particular application. The DYNO wars using chassis Dyno's is old hat on most all car forums and tiresome.

MYNES simply posts before and after of how they use a Chassis Dyno. It is great information if you learn and know how to read a DYNO graph. I recommend to take the time to learn how to fully read and understand a DYNO graph because you would see that some posting DYNO graphs unlike MYNES seem to "tilt" the game a bit with final results in favor of their efforts?

The only true way to measure the accurate output of an engine is with an Engine Dyno. This is as per every DYNO manufacture at least in this country. It is understandable that it is not reasonable to pull an engine from a MINI to use an Engine Dyno to measure mods. But any vendor or supplier claiming to test completed engines or individual engine parts would be offering Engine DYNO graphs showing results of those individual parts on a controlled base line engine. Without a base line engine in the real world of infinite variables true results can not be established as a repeatable norm.

On a technical "note" the use of a flow bench testing fuel injectors and the results will not change on a DYNO of any kind. In other words the injectors gets the information from the ECU and performs the same regardless of where the engine is being run. This means the injectors characteristics are the same in any engine load capacity either on a flow bench or in the engine.
    The final spray pattern may vary because of combustion chambers, intake runners, piston shape, etc., etc.,etc. but the flow bench testing is conclusive.

This can be verified through any of the Performance Fuel Injector Manufactures.

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Alright, I think we've had enough of the back and forth?

4. jason@MynesTuned

jason@MynesTuned New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, so now can we keep this on topic now about 550cc injectors and not about 450cc injectors, RMW and about your tune. I wish you could advertise yourself and your vendor in a new thread. I would greatly appreciate that very much. :)

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Let me try this again...

1. The bickering has to stop. I'm not above using the ban hammer.

2. Duty Cycle is a calculated result. It is a tool for use to determine if an injector size can handle the needs of an engine. It does not mean that that an injector can go over 100%, it only means that an injector as sized can be wrong for the application. It is an accepted rule of thumb that the calculated value should not exceed 80% of an injectors Duty Cycle. If when calculating the Duty Cycle you derive results that are above 80% then one should look to use a larger injector. Rocket Science it is not and why some of you keep harping on this matter I do not know.

6. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
  7. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    BUMP... good info those who are new to the forum... :)

8. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Getting ready for shipment :)

IMAG0123.jpg

9. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
  10. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    do you grind off the part numbers like other vendors?

11. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Nope. We have nothing to hide. Customers will be able to see the part numbers clearly and can verify the actual OE size of our injectors.

12. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Does this look like the 440cc that's in your MINI?

Does this look like the 440cc injectors in your MINI?

Of course, you can only gauge it based solely on appearance b/c the numbers and markings are probably scratched off.

photo.jpg

13. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    its been a long time since I've seen mine :lol:

14. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    #9 mike@MynesTuned, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
    440s are NOT really 440cc ???

So what is the TRUE SIZE of your injectors as it pertains to the R53's fuel pressure application? That's a question that you should ask your vendor and tuner.

Based on the part number provided earlier on the so-called "440cc", we did some research and discover the following. We have placed this in a side-by-side comparison so we are comparing "apple-to-apple."

Bosch OE 550cc "440cc" (SRT4)
    Manufacturer Bosch Siemens Deka
    Vendor Mynes The other guy
    Injector type High-Imp (saturated) High-Imp (saturated)
    Injector connector type EV6 (US-Car) EV6 (US-Car)
    Connector adapter need to fit R53 YES YES
    OE Application Ford Motorsport Mopar Stage 1/2; SRT-4
    Injector design EV14 (equivalent to Deka VII) Deka IV (equivlent to the older EV6 design)
    (newer injector design) (older injector design)
    Injector flow (at 43.5 psi or 3 bar) 500cc 500cc
    Injector flow (at 52.5 psi or 3.5 bar)* 550cc ???
    Injector flow (at 58.0 psi or 4 bar) 575cc 582cc

*NOTE: Standard Fuel Pressure on MINI R53 is 3.5 bar (and MAX fuel pressure is 64 psi).

15. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE: Based on our research, there are two types of 440cc injectors being floated by the other guy and here is the info:

The 1st Generation of 440cc are these (up until 2010):
    These are the Porsche GT3 injectors (OE by Bosch, Part # 0280156012). They are of the older EV6 Technology and have a flow rate of 430cc at 3 bar (or 43.5 psi fuel pressure). But we are unable to find any published specs on actual flow rate of these injectors at the R53's operating fuel pressure level of 3.5 bar (or 52.5 psi)... So the actual flow rate for the R53 application is another set of "???"..

These injectors were sold to both the US and UK Customers as "440cc Injectors" with part numbers defaced. No pigtail connectors were needed for the R53 application as they have the EV1 connectors.
    440cc_Porsche.jpg 440cc_Porsche2.jpg

430cc_Specs.gif

Difference in appearance and technology between the EV1 / EV6 / EV14:

Bosch_Injectors_Generations.gif 430cc_Specs2.gif

16. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    So with your 550's, do we need a adapter for them to be used on R53's ? and do they interfere with IC at all ?

17. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    OK.. I agree 100%. I feel the air amount ( CFM ) allowed into the engine is determined by the Head/ Cam/ pulley ect.. and I feel that when people talk to ME about injectors, I refer them to Mynes.

Unlike installing a larger Carburetor ( yep.. those funny looking things) that also increases CFM to the engine, where you CAN go too big.. too much Air, the ECU controlling the inj. is a totally different animal!

And when you can control the amount and when the fuel is injected... then there probably ISNT any TOO BIG!! Yes?? ( Ok there probably is.. just using the idea of a 950 Carb on a 5.0 litter eng vs a 750 !!)

When the engine desires more fuel.. the ECU takes care of it!! ( and the air flow stays the same!)

Just me.............................................

Thumper

18. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I think that you can have such a thing as too large an injector. If your minimum open time on an injector delivers more fuel than required, the injector would be too large for the application. There is a definite minimum that the injector can be cycled and still deliver fuel. This is why you see dual injectors in smaller engines that have large turbos of super chargers. They fire one set of injectors at idle conditions when the fuel requirements are low and then once the turbo or supercharger(s) kick in and the fuel requirements ramp up, they fire both injectors to deliver the required fuel.

19. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Agree, perfect size is one that would be working somewhere towards the middle of it's operating ranges for your application.... Otherwise BMW, for cost effectiveness would just have one big injector that works on their highest output engines and merely scale them down for the lessor output applications....2 cents

20. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes. The 550s we sell comes complete with pigtail connector adapters and they do NOT interfere with the IC.

Minimark, you should check with your tuner on this one... for the longest time, he has been knocking on these Bosch OE 550s that we have been using... guess what, he is now selling the SAME 550s to his customers :blush2:

The old saying hold true: Don't knock it until you have tried it... We've been using these 550s since Feb 2009 and have been taking a "beating" from the other side ever since... And almost two years later, things have come full circle. LOL.

At least he kept the part numbers intact this time so the customer can verify the actual size of the injectors :Thumbsup: