Bike Riders.....

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by Metalman, Oct 3, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I didn't mention anything about the bicyclist in that thread, so I wouldn't really consider it a double post.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Whatever go to bed already.

Peddle Bikes do not belong on roads or have any rights to be on them PERIOD.

If they want special they should have to: register them ($), Insure them ($) get the inspected ($) take a Public Road awareness test and get a bike license ($).

Without doing the above they can all go ride in a park for all I care that's free and open to them.

3. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Unless there is a law stating it is illegal for them to be on the road, I would say they have the right to be on them. I agree that it could be beneficial for there to be some type of registration/test for bicyclist.

4. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Hey would you look at that... We can agree on something!

Feel proud, you agreed with a moron today! :)

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Do we really need a law for everything ? Do we need a law to tell you not to drive your car on railroad tracks? No, we all know not to do that because its called common sense.

So we need a new law for peddle bikers from the government, is that what you really want because we can not make a decision for ourselves?

Sorry they are closed for new business because they can't even agree.

6. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately you can't always rely on common sense. If that was the case you wouldn't need any laws.

7. sethat46

sethat46 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Financial Sales
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Look... I went through the OSU City Planning undergraduate and graduate programs. Bikes are going nowhere; in fact you've only seen the beginning. There are programs from entities like MORPC for public awareness about bikes as an alternative mode of transportation. Towns are adopting policies into their master plans to add bike lanes.
    I may have been one of the only students that didn't like bikes on the roads but there really is no refutable arguments for bikes on roadways except for Dave.0s plan.

However, in Ohio we have bike paths in almost every town with connector routes that can get you from town to town. Many of these towns are utilizing state and federal funding to create these bikeways/greenways and in approximately 10-20 years Ohio will be almost fully connected.
    Where I have a real problem is when I see bikers on back roads because it is incredibly unsafe for drivers and bikers. This is where I say, "get your a** on a bike path." With all the funding for these paths it just seems like a waste when I see them on the roads.

And I do agree with Dave: Register, insure, inspect, educate

8. silky

silky New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    There are signs here in TX that say bicycles have a right to the whole lane, so I would assume there is a law to that effect. Now, if you disagree and want to change the law, go for it.

9. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Wow... Now thats a thought...

Bike paths. Bike paths! And bike lanes!

Set aside for people who choose to ride bicycles! Out, and away from motor vehicle traffic!
    Thats the best idea I have heard in this thread yet.
    They are out there... Colorado has hundreds of miles of greenway trails, maintained year round by the state. You can ride from the north suburbs of Denver to almost CastleRock and never even have to cross a street on your bike!

Only problem is, the riders don't want to use them! They would rather risk turning themselves into a greasy smear and a pile of flowers on the hidden side of a blind curve on a mountain road.

10. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    I believe the last part of your statement can be attributed to people wanting to challenge themselves. That is not just something bicyclist do. People climb mountains when there are perfectly good walking trails and climbing walls. Others go on drives and try to nail the perfect set of turns at higher than posted speeds won public roads when there are auto cross and track days that would be safer.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    It's all really simple. Consideration for others. If on a bike or walking on a public road then don't ride/walk down the middle of the lane.

Same in a car, give the walker/biker a wide birth.

It's not hard, it's not worth the sillyness going on in this thread.

Therefore since ya'll can't show consideration for others I'm closing this thread.

One a side note....

This is the second thread that has been closed since the Gov't shutdown started. Before that it has been many months since a thread has been closed. I'm seeing a pattern here.

M/A is supposed to be fun and friendly, stop the carp.