Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Most liked posts in thread: Bilstein PSS9 maintenance?

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Bilstein has a menu of rebuild services.

See Service

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #3 k-huevo, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
    Bilstein shock service for street and moderate performance use if: the seals are leaking, damping changes when hot (ex. track use on a hot day), with the shock off the vehicle and the springs removed uneven feeling when actuating the shock shaft, you want to alter rebound rates. If you suspect something has changed, remove the springs and look for oil or jerky movement, plus check for uneven spring heights, have the spring rates measured and shocks dynoed if you want to go that far and really know their health. Their springs are not as long lived as their shocks.

Do you have a symptom to go with the questions?

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    The car feels a bit loose lately. Could be a combination of colder weather, tire age, alignment need. But I have 35k +/- on these, so I just wanted to see if a "maintenance" rebuild is a good idea.

4. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    If you've not been endurance racing, that's low mileage and not a concern on its own.

When I hear the term "loose" I think high tire pressures, stiff springs, stiff swaybar, high damping rates. You may have a different opinion of what loose feels like than I.

Cold weather causes lower tire pressure, so if you mean the car feels soft, perhaps low tire pressure. It's time to check the health of suspension bushings all around as well as a shock inspection if you think something feels out of sorts.

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Tire pressure is the same as always. Gets checked every 2 weeks or so. Springs and sway bar settings have not changed in a while. All bushings are PowerFlex and have been so for a while.

When I say "loose" I mean it as it applies to me and my knowledge of my car. Most would not be able to tell. I am only able via "knowing" the car. Gonna run it out for an alignment, it has been a while.