Most liked posts in thread: Bit by the Bug... Again

1. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    My auto-x experience is from 38 years ago so I can't help you there Redbeard. Heck my racing experience is long ago too so I can't help you there either. Fark I've gotten old. :eek:

The thoughts I do have is run your MINI in the stock class for a while before adding any go fast & stop fast bits. Figure out what class you want to run in & build for it.

Welcome back Redbeard. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I really like my Hawk HPS pads. I have had two sets on my R53 and plan on putting them on the R58.

You and I have the same problem, two hobbies that cost to much money. I am on the other side. I have not shot very much USPSA because of the cars and Bike.

3. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

I will look at the Hawk HP+ pads. Sounds like the Dunlops are the hotness for my lazy backside.

Dave, I have been back a while man. Just been ghosting the forum after my initial return. The F56 JCW > Other cars. Because it's already in my garage. I don't have the time or patience for a tertiary vehicle just to track. Also, I tried the no torque high-speed RWD thing. I didn't get along very well with it. :Wtf:

Crashton, this isn't my first rodeo on a track or AutoX. I went down the hyper competitive route before. It was more stress than fun. I like the JCW how it is minus adding wear and tear to usable components. So I'll add the pieces to make sure it runs well and safely and I will end up in whatever class I end up in. Not going to be a mod-fest. I don't want to sink the $$ into that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I hear you, been there done that. No fun at all for me. I've changed my outlook on life to have fun first & for most. Makes me much happier.

Enjoy your fun Redbeard! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Hey Redbeard welcome back, it’s been a long time.

Best advice would be DO NOT BUY A MINI ! Get a Miata because they are cheaper, better made and so much more reliable. Also the aftermarket is loaded with options and support.

Nice to see you back but don’t buy an F56.

6. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Fish face is more reliable than the first 2 gens. Funny you mention a Miata, I've been looking at a new RF. My only hang up is they have 0 balls. There is simple bolt on boosting options but I'm a stickler for a warranty while paying for a car.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Dave he already has the JCW. Man you are getting as forgetful as me.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    They will pass their teen years fast. Enjoy the ride hug them every day.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Glad I went and looked. I thought I was running 18" wheels but I am running 17". That helps my wheel options. There is no way I am going to fit a 16" over these brakes though:

[​IMG]

Ride feel is nice but I am looking to minimize flex so running a stiff sidewall and a "shorter" (as compared to a 16" wheel with a tire mounted with the stock OD) profile will help that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    #2 Qik, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  11. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Wheels- Have you looked at NM? They carry the same wheel that the factory JCW Racing Team uses.

Tires- Dunlops

Brakes- Your rotors should be good for a while yet and I've only got experience with the Brembo pads.

Trans Fluid- Redline worked great for my R56, but haven't changed it yet in the F56

Pay no attention to Dave. I think he'd rather you drive a Fiat than an F56.

12. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    I prefer Hawk over EBC for the track. That said, I don't have any experience using them on Autocross where the heat cycle would need to be very quick. @jetsr6 is currently autocrossing.. he may have some suggestions here. I also plan on doing some autocross and HPDE's with the GP... just not quite there yet.

Also - can't wait to see the Gen 3 build and results. What class would you run?

13. jetsr6

jetsr6 Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Driver
    Loganton, PA
    Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Everything that I have used on my mini is a first time use so I don’t have anything to compare from. But I can say the Hawk HP plus pads the initial bite is very nice even when cold. Your rotors will not last as long as the pads. I used OEM rotors.

14. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    I need to try that! Think I'm still in the pushing to get things done phase... granted I enjoy most of what I do. Just can't wait till the kids get through some of the "teen" years. :Nailbiting:

15. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    So.... I have a bit of an issue. I can't seem to find ANY regular aftermarket pads that fit an F56 JCW. There were a few that would fit F56 Base and S models but none for an F56 JCW.

After poking at compounds and types it seemed like the Hawk HP+ pads were the way to go. No dice. Carbotech, nada. EBC, zilch.

The only ones I can find are Powerstop brand. Anyone have any experience with this brand?
    Powerstop has Track Day front rotors: https://www.powerstop.com/product/track-day-brake-pads/#y=2016&mk=MINI&mo=COOPER&ss=John Cooper Works 5 Lug Models

Then Powerstop ceramics for the rear: https://www.powerstop.com/product/z23-evolution-sport-brake-pads/#y=2016&mk=MINI&mo=COOPER&ss=John Cooper Works 5 Lug Models

16. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    OK I said I wouldn't give advice, because my experience is so old & not current. Ha! I lied so here goes.

Are the auto-x course you run long? You will always start with cold brakes. A track compound pad isn't going to work well until it has heat in it. So going with that type of pad seems counter productive for your intended use. If I had to guess those oem JCW brakes will be more than enough.

As for brands I think Carbotech will make brakes for you. Give them a call.

Way back when I experimented with many types of brakes for my race car. I used won't stop & can't stop brands with limited success. I found the best for me at the time were Repco Metal Masters. They worked well when hot & wore great. Although my rotors disappeared at an alarming rate. You are lucky there are so many choices these days. OK that's all for now time for my morning nap. ZZZzzz ;)

17. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #17 agranger, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    18" wheels? I might suggest going much smaller for Auto-X, though I'm no huge expert. In my R53 experiences, 16" wheels felt SO much better both on a 3.1 mile road track and for Auto-X. The tires are much cheaper as well. 17" wheels will fit over almost all of the brake options and the Ultraleggeras in 17" look like 18" wheels, IMHO, because the spokes go all the way out to the rubber. The 16s felt much more responsive and acceleration felt better (by the butt dyno).

Here are the 17" Ultrageggeras:
    [​IMG]

IMHO, the 18s look too large (and a bit funny w/ the low profile tires). It's a style thing, though, and everyone has their preferences for look. Here's a car that was at my new mechanic's shop the last time I went in. A great looking car, but the wheels weren't for me... too much space unused by the brakes and didn't fill the arches right.

[​IMG]

18. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Good looking! and yes - no way a 16" is going to fit. I need to look it up, but I wonder if those are the same brakes that are on my 13 GP.. if so.. love them. Pedal is to soft compared to what I'm used to.. that said just need to learn how to be lighter on my feet. :Stig:

19. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Well, the issue is not just AutoX. Were that the case, then you are 100% correct. I'd just run OE pads and call it good cuz the Brembos do a great job already.

I will need the pads to work on the street, autox, and 25 minute track sessions. This may be your time away but a handfull of brakes have hit the market that do just that. Hawk HP+ and EBC Yellows both fit that category.

Now, with these "do alls" in mind they are a compromise. They aren't quite as good as real cintered race brakes under full race conditions and they aren't a quiet as a street brake. They are a compromise. That is the point of the upgrades. Pandering to my lazy self cuz I dont want to swap pads everytime I hit up a track event.

Same with my tire choice. The best tire for AutoX and track are all different. The Starspec III seems like the correct compromise solution.

Nope. No pads for F56 JCWs. :(

Your input is greatly appreciated, Crashton. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

20. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Track days huge fun! Now I understand, but I may forget tomorrow & not understand. o_O