1st Gen R53 Cooper S Blinker signal switch broken or needs repair

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Tummi_Gummi, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys I am not sure how to go about this, whether to replace or if it can be repaired. But basically my blinker switch isn't working right and its quite dangerous. I will flip my right turn signal to on position and it will blink once then stop. It doesn't fall back out of the right signal position but it just stops sending the signal to the computer for the blinker. I have to bumper it in random directions to get it to come on. Sometimes it works fine, other times it's like a wire is lose or maybe the connections are dirty. The left works about 95% of the time while the right works about 5-10% of the time. It will cut out to even with me touching it again after it's on. I saw new switch for 120$ but i am sure its gonna need programming.

I also noticed another similar issue with the lights on my visors. They never work when the mirror cover is flipped all the way open to the position it sits in. I have to hold it down about a 1/4" to have the lights on. I am wondering if there is a type of switch that can get worn and become loose. But then again I have no idea on the mini. What should I do?

2. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Another question. I am looking at one on ebay but it has this extra button called a "dip/dim switch" on the top of it. What is this? Mine doesn't have it, so will this not work? Or will it add another feature?

3. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    No, the switch doesn't involve programming.

4. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    okay thanks! but what about the dip dim button? Mine doesn't have that now. but i bought one with it. Will it not work?