Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen "Boost" Upgrade

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Justa Jim, Mar 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I have the Boost system and just noted that behind the panel, right side of the boot, there is an un-used plug, taped to the wiring harness. Would this be for an Amp? If so, is the wiring the same for Boost and HiFi?

Jim

2. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    First off, the answer to the above question is NO.

Secondly, I started the install of the stereo upgrade from NEW MINI STUFF, today. This install is easy, or as easy as it can be for a MINI, because you still have to remove the interior. Everything is plug & play. I have the "boost" system, so they provide two new "A" pillars with tweeters mounted. You install them, a good quality woofer in the lower door and disconnect the small door speaker. This makes the sound stage bigger. They provide a wiring harness from the amp to the connector in the kick well (the one that you can do the front/back channel switch with). After this is connected it picks up the signal from the radio and lets the factory wiring work for the new speakers. Very slick. Got the four fronts in and the sound is great. Rear speakers are next.

A special thanks to Aaron, who I called for a bit of tech advice. :Thumbsup:

Jim

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,667 / 2 / -0
    How can you have boost without a turbo Jim? :wink:

4. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    :postcount As it seems your on your own with this Jim:beer

Mark

5. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I'm talking to myself again, but I feel the need to post the results of my endeavorers, just so they are documented, in the odd ball chance that somebody might be looking for such information in the future. However I talk to myself a lot and (shutter) I even answer, so all is well. :lol:

Crashton, didn't you know that the stereo can add 20 hp if you ugrade properly?:D

Jim

6. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Upgrade is in and the sound is fantastic. You know the factory system is bad, but don't realize "how bad" until you upgrade it. :Thumbsup:

Stripping the rear of the car, just to install two speakers, looks like a real pain from all the DIY instructions out there, but it is not. I stripped it, installed the speakers and put it all back in about two hours. Now that I know a few tricks I believe I could cut that time. Don't let that part scare you off. For FYI only here are two things not mentioned in the instructions I used.

1) There two plastic covers that fit around the two movable arms that lock the backs of the rear seats forward (2nd gen) which have to be removed. On each long side there are two clips (4 total) that you don't see clearly. Pop all of these up and the covers come right out.

2) On the large side panel, pop the clips lose from the bottom, then lift the entire thing directly up toward the roof. Don't pull "out and up", just "up". The top hooks over a ledge.

Lotsie, now I have this documented, in case I need to read it again some time. :prrr:

Jim

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,918 / 1 / -0
    Nice Jim...:Thumbsup:
    Soooooo..... Broken camera?

8. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    OK, I'll post a few pictures. I might need to look at them someday for a refresher. :lol:

Jim