1st Gen R53 Cooper S Bouncing Tensioner?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by BlimeyCabrio, Sep 5, 2010.

1. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Reman unit ordered. I'll compare before I install it.

It was definitely NOT smooth -

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Blimey needs some smooth...

[​IMG]

3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    LOLOLOLOL

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  5. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I used that thing on my butt once. Never again.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Did you have to powder it after?

7. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Dang - that's what I did wrong.

8. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Well, crap.

Apparently, reman MINI alternators do not exist. Even though RockAuto lists then from three different remanufacturers (AC Delco, Denso, Remy), when they tried to place orders with all three remans, all three said "oops, we don't have any and don't know when we will have any". So back to square one.

That said, I'm having second thoughts about the alternator diagnosis. Why? Because the car only exhibits the behavior when I shift out of park into D or R. That should make no difference to the alternator while still sitting still at idle... but I can turn the vibration on and off at will, simply by moving the shifter. But when I check under the hood with it vibrating, the tensioner is definitely bouncing some, and the noise seems to be emanating from there, even checked with a stethoscope.

I'm baffled.

9. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    It is possible that you have multiple contributing factors. I would still suggest to go to the auto parts store to feel a new alternator so you can determine if yours is abby normal. If it is then you still need to remedy that issue anyway.

It is often difficult to identify issue #2, until issue #1 is resolved.

10. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's also a ressonance effect...

think of it as a tuning fork. When it's hit near the "natural" frequency, it's amplitude is very high. When hit at a frequncy far from what it likes to ring at, it won't bounce much.

Matt

11. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, that's a tough one. So the vibration only occurs when the driveline is loaded, and it's shaking the engine hard enough to oscillate the tensioner. Check your lower engine mount for tears? Maybe a bent axle? No, the axle's not rotating. Hmm, weird.

12. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Just had the lower mount out this weekend... looks fine.

Yep, only when the driveline is loaded a little, but at low load and low speed. Does it through a range of several hundred RPM (900-1800ish), so it's not like it's doing it at one very specific engine speed. Once I get above "driveway" speed and RPMs, it stops vibrating. Shift into park, stops vibrating. Haven't tried neutral, but will.

Nothing that I can think of changed to coincide with the appearance of the vibration. I changed tranny fluid a couple of weeks before this started. Crank pulley (ATI) has been on for several months. TSW engine mount for a couple of months.

I'm not convinced that there's not an issue with the alternator bearings... but it just seems really weird to me that the symptom is completely dependent on transmission engagement. I suppose that changes drivetrain harmonics a bit as Dr. O suggests and that could be the difference...

13. werD

werD Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Slave to technology...
    Nashville, TN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Solid advice - my original R53 had the same symptom post tensioner install (and new pulley). Three free tensioners later from the dealer, they opted to try the idler pulley and all was well...

Inexpensive part to try as well.

14. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. I'll try an idler if I can't find another culprit.

For now, seems improved. I installed 17% pulley, brand new tensioner assembly and shorter belt on Saturday. Have only driven it once since... doesn't seem to have the mega vibration like it did - so far.

I also checked all accessories. EVERYTHING was nice and smooth... including my alternator... weird... definitely was not smooth a week or so earlier.

Slightly related topic... for some reason, my car doesn't obey the laws of belt length physics. Everyone seems to say that NAPA 060535 should be plenty short / tight with a 15% pulley and standard size crank pulley. Well, on my car, a new 060535 belt will only show about half a hole in the tensioner. I've confirmed this with multiple belt swaps and tensioners.

But a 060532 is the ticket for me (now with 17%). It's about 8mm shorter and that makes it tight to install, but leaves a whole hole visible when on.

15. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Interesting about the belt. Got pics?

16. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    No pics.

Most folks seem to coach that to ensure no belt slipping, etc. you want to be able to see at least half a hole visible on the tab sticking out through the top of the tensioner. Ideally an entire hole. By the time a 060535 belt gets stretched in a bit, I'm at almost none of the last hole visible.

17. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Is the geometry slightly different for an automatic? Maybe MINI uses the same belt for manuals and automatics and takes up the slack with the tensioner. Weird how the alternator goes from bad to good, too.

18. werD

werD Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Slave to technology...
    Nashville, TN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is almost funny - I had similar belt misery amongst diagnosing the idler pulley. I *think* I wound up using the JCW belt from the dealer with my m7 16% reduction, been a while since I dealt with that and I could be mistaken. The NAPA was too short/tight in my setup to jive.

But I'd work on the other trouble more to ensure it doesn't fubar everything and leave you stranded... Like mine did. :crazy:

19. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    All seems well at the moment... Vastly improved... Good, but definitely odd about the alternator.

I don't see how anything would be different on the belt drive on an auto... All the same pulleys in the same locations.

20. OutMotoring

OutMotoring Club Coordinator
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0