Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Brake duct repair

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by BThayer23, Sep 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    One of my brake ducts was apparently mounted too close to the crank pulley and subsequently has a small hole. Any ideas what to repair it with? Will high temp duct tape stay on, and if it doesn't, will it mess up the crank pulley?

And also, does a 2" hole matter?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Is this one of the WMW ducts?

If so you should be able to wrap some fiberglass around the hole to repair it.

As to making a difference, air is like water and will seek the path of least resistance. I'd cover it up keeping as much air as possible going to the brakes.

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Duct tape FTW. Should work fine.

You should sue the idiot who installed those ducts. :lol:

4. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Seal that hole for sure. You want all of that available flow going to the brakes, unless of course you have no further plans to visit the track.

If Way, then fiberglass resin/cloth.
    If flex hose, then duct tape, or brake duct tape.

Either way, make sure the duct is clean and dry before you begin the repair.

5. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #5 agranger, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    If it's plastic, you could duct tape the outside, then flow some JB Weld inside the pipe to make a hard seal on the inside of the pipe. 24 hours later, you could pull off the duct tape and you would have a hard, heat-proof (to a reasonable degree... probably better than the original plastic of the pipe) patch. On a warm day JB Weld will flow with gravity for 5-10 min after you mix it, so you will have a bit of time to get the epoxy down the inside of the pipe and to rotate the pipe to distribute the JB Weld to cover the entire hole (plus some around the edge of the hole for a good bonding surface). Be sure to clean the pipe inside and out around the hole to ensure a good bond.

I'd bet that this would work well for fiberglass as well, if you don't want to mess with glassing in the patch.

If duct tape can't fix it, JB Weld can. I can only imagine what kind of excellent solution a combination of the 2 would provide! :D

6. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    another way to go...

some al sheet, or plastic, and pop rivits. It's not high stress, so any of the above will work. I'd use whatever is easiet to get my hands on.

Matt

7. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    To clarify, my brake ducts aren't fiberglass, they're flexible high temperature hose from Sneed's. One of the internal wire hoops has been worn through, and the duct has a 2" vertical hole, almost like a jagged slice. I'll try duct tape, but it's gonna be a challenge to get these suckers completely clean. I'll take a picture tonight.

Thanks for the ideas.

8. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    See if Sneeds...

will send you a couple inches of tube. Put it inside what you have to cover the hole. Get creative with fastening.... Or see what they'd charge for just some duct tubing, or check places like Summit Racing...

Matt

9. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Good idea on the duct hose heli coil.
    The hose or duct is the most expensive part of the kit. How much do you get in the Sneed kit, is it 8' or 10', if 10' then you should have a little extra as it should only take 4' or less per side.

Otherwise, clean that hose as best as possible and duct tape that sucker up. Wrap it around the duct maybe 4 or 5 complete revolutions and end the tape on top of itself as it is clean.

10. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think...

this is acommon repair. I bought a box of used brake ducting (hose type) from some Nascar team on eBay. Had tons of the stuff in lots of sizes. Most of the pieces had duct tape on them! Never used the stuff and threw it all out.

Matt

11. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Ooh, good call. I do have a little extra left over that I'd completely forgotten about, maybe a 3" section.

12. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yep... that's the thing to try. Good idea.

13. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Here's a picture of the hole, which I think was actually caused by one of the zip ties I used to secure the ducting to the frame.

[​IMG]

I washed the duct with some diluted Simple Green and let it dry. Turns out duct tape is actually fantastic for ducts. It felt like the duct tape stuck really well to the surface and reinforced it. The thickness of the tape is about what the thickness of the duct is, so I used the tape to reinforce any stress areas. I didn't get any pictures of the duct reinstalled, but I didn't see any rubbing areas and it seemed to be locked down pretty tight.

The passenger side is definitely harder to do because the crank pulley is much closer to the wheel well on that side. You have to stretch the duct between the vertical frame member inside the wheel and the black plastic radiator support, but you want slack, if not excess length, from the radiator support to the fog light bumper hole and from the vertical frame member to the rotor bracket. The duct should be pressed up against the fog light bumper hole, and it needs the extra length near the rotor bracket to allow full steering motion.

I wish I'd remembered to take a picture. It's much easier to see than do, and it helps to have the car jacked up really high so you can examine all the angles.

14. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well, I will be installing my ducts tonight, after having finally finished the duct outlet at the rotor. I will try to secure so as to not have a repair like this in the future, but since I will be using zip-ties as well....... maybe a repair is inevitable.

Any pics of the plastic you had to cut behind the bumper to get the duct wiggled around and properly behind the fog light hole? Maybe it is obvious once the bumper cover is off.

15. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Ben should have pics. I did the cutting. He's a brave man. My air powered bodysaw cut through the modular front end like buttah. You have to remove a pretty sizeable chunk to make the path for the hose... but it's a chunk that seems to have no significant role in life. If it does, nobody tell Ben.

16. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Why not wrap/reinforce the duct with tape before using the wire ties?

I used a foil heat resistant tape to wrap the duct and then where I used stainless steel wire ties I wrapped the duct with a felt material.

[​IMG]

17. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Ron, there is no way to see anything in that micro pic. Give us a big one!

18. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    #18 RonsMinnie, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
    Look in my garage pics -- RonsMinnie's Garage :: M!nn!e

Click on the garage image and it will enlarge.

Nathan is going to have tell - teach me how to link to the full size pic.

19. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I may be brave, but Paul has some crazy tools and knows how to use them. I know tools, and Paul's a big... I mean, Paul's got a big collection. :aureola:

Driver's side is shown below. The radiator support, aka the modular front end, is a 1/8" black plastic piece that sits behind the aluminum bumper and holds the fog lights and radiator. We cut off the bracket that holds the wheel speed and brake sensor connectors. On the passenger's side, there's less room to route the duct, so we drilled a hole in the radiator support to hang a zip tie. There's no reason to cut out the fog light holes. The cutting is necessary to allow the duct to turn towards the engine earlier and avoid the wheel.

[​IMG]

20. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    That's an excellent pic... definately worth more than 1,000 words.

I especially like how you left the edges raw where you removed plastic, just so we could see exactly where you trimmed! Thanks! :D